[ncl-install] NCL Installation Test Error

Arghya Goswami garghya at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 17:35:00 MDT 2010

Hi I am a graduate student at UTA and having this error as I am trying
to test the NCL installation. I have used the default settings as
directed in the help.

As I type,

ng4ex gsun01n

I get the following error:

NCAR Graphics NCL Example <gsun01n>

This example was set up to display the output to an
X11 window.

  Copying gsun01n.ncl

Running NCL...
 Copyright (C) 1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/for more details.
warning:GKS:GOPWK: --X driver error: error opening display

warning:GKS:GESC: --SPECIFIED WORKSTATION IS NOT OPEN

fatal:Workstation with PID#8 is not open

fatal:Unable to open Workstation-Can't Create

fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4

fatal:_NhlCreate:Invalid Parent id #-4

fatal:NhlGetValues:PID #-4 is invalid

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 9810 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/
gsun/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 11

Finished running 'ncl < gsun01n'...

Please help me with this.

Arghya Goswami
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Dept of EES,University of Texas at Arlington,
500 Yates Street, Arlington, Texas - 76010.
E-mail: garghya at yahoo.com