[ncl-install] Fedora 10

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue May 19 07:48:27 MDT 2009

I have no familiarity with the NCL/RPM package, but it looks
like NCARG_ROORT and/or NCARG_LIB are not being set correctly.

First, NCARG_ROOT root should be set to the parent directory of where
NCL/NCAR Graphics was installed.  For example, if the
software was installed to /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include,
and /usr/local/bin, then NCARG_ROOT should be set to /usr/local.

Second, NCARG_LIB should *not* be set, unless the NCL/NCAR Graphics
libraries were installed to some location other than $NCARG_ROOT/lib.

The settings you have below:

   NCARG_ROOT=/usr
   NCARG_LIB=/usr/share/ncarg

imply that the include files were installed to /usr/include,
the binaries to /usr/bin, and the libraries to /usr/share/ncarg.

Is this correct? This is a little odd, but it should work
if the environment variables are set correctly.

It seems like the intention was to put the NCL/NCARG libraries in
/usr/lib, but then to move the special "ncarg" directory (that usually
resides in $NCARG_ROOT/lib) to its own directory: /usr/share/ncarg.

If this is the case, then instead of setting NCARG_LIB to
/usr/share/ncarg, set NCARG_NCARG to this directory, and don't set
NCARG_LIB:

   NCARG_ROOT=/usr
   NCARG_NCARG=/usr/share/ncarg

--Mary