[ncl-install] Mac OS 10.5, compiling and links to right libraries

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 10 06:38:17 MDT 2008

On Oct 10, 2008, at 6:06 AM, Doug Angus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've managed to install NCAR 5.0.0 on my Mac laptop (Leopard OS
> 10.5) and the installation seems fine with the test command ng4ex
> xy01n -clean.  However, I can't seem to compile my earlier versions
> of plotting routines from my other operating systems (Mac OS Panther
> and even older Redhat linux).  Basically I get errors like:
>
> "__g95_st_read_done", referenced from :
>        _gesc_ in libncarg_gks.a(gesc.o)
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> using the following compilor command
>
> g77 -O -o plot Src/Plot.f -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lncarg -
> lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lXpm -lX11 -lgcc
>
> I seem to remember always having to fiddle with the links in the
> compiling command whenever I change OS .. but through trial and error.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks - Doug

Hi Doug,

You are linking against a version of NCAR Graphics/NCL that was built
with the g95 compiler, and hence it is referencing some g95 system
routines ("_g95_st_read_done" is one).

You have a few options:

  - You can install g95 (there are binaries available), and then link
in the "f95" library that comes with it.

To download: http://g95.org/downloads.shtml

Scroll down to the stable version, 0.91, and get either the "x86 OSX"
or "PowerPC OSX" version, depending on what kind of system you have.
("uname -a" will give you this info.)

  - You can build NCAR Graphics from source code, using your g77
compiler.

I think the first option might be easier!