[ncl-install] Mac OS 10.5, compiling and links to right libraries

Doug Angus d.angus at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 06:06:23 MDT 2008

Hi,

I've managed to install NCAR 5.0.0 on my Mac laptop (Leopard OS 10.5)
and the installation seems fine with the test command ng4ex xy01n -
clean.  However, I can't seem to compile my earlier versions of
plotting routines from my other operating systems (Mac OS Panther and
even older Redhat linux).  Basically I get errors like:

"__g95_st_read_done", referenced from :
        _gesc_ in libncarg_gks.a(gesc.o)
.
.
.
.
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

using the following compilor command

g77 -O -o plot Src/Plot.f -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lncarg -
lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lXpm -lX11 -lgcc

I seem to remember always having to fiddle with the links in the
compiling command whenever I change OS .. but through trial and error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Doug