[ncl-install] NCL install problem

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:22:59 MDT 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, jxjahwt wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Thank you for your attention.I have already installed Cygwin/X and downloaded NCL according to the homepage.
>
>  (1)But when I type the following commands from the Cygwin/X Window,
>
>    gunzip /cygwin/home/JohnDoe/ncl_ncarg-5.0.0.CYGWIN_i686.tar.gz
>
>    I get an message that "No such  file or directory". Please tell me why. And I'm sure the file is existed.

This command is simply telling you that the file is not in that
directory. If, from a Cygwin/X terminal window, you type:

   cd /cygwin/home/JohnDoe
   ls

do you see the file listed? Perhaps it was downloaded somewhere else
on your system, and not in c:\cygwin.  It could be under something
like "My Downloads" or "My Documents".

>  (2)And I don't have the "c:\cygwin\home\xxx\.cshrc" file.

Do you mean literally \cygwin\home\xxx, or do you mean
\cygwin\home\JohnDoe?  If you don't have this file, you can create it.

>  (3)The "c:\cygwin\home\xxx\.bashrc" file doesn't mention the Path. I don't know where to add the lines.

Do you have a c:\cygwin\home\JohnDoe\.profile file?

I found a link on the web from somebody who created these various
files for his own Cygwin installation. See:

    http://www.astro.umd.edu/~harris/cygwin/index.html

--Mary