[ncarg-talk] help me

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue May 19 16:17:28 MDT 2015

You might want to start by looking at this page:

http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu/examples.html

and in particular, example mpex13.f.

However, I highly recommend that you consider using NCL, rather than NCAR
Graphics.  Getting a contour plot over a map with labels is much simpler,
and you have lots of examples to start from.

As a start, see this page, which shows how to draw contour plots over a
cylindrical map:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/cylineq.shtml

An NCL script for reading a variable off a NetCDF file and plotting it can
be as simple as:

; Open NetCDF file
  a = addfile("$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/data/cdf/uv300.nc","r")

; Read in zonal winds
  u = a->U(1,:,:)                                ; read July zonal winds

; Open X11 window for graphics
  wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","ce")

  res = True
  res at cnFillOn = True

; Create filled contour plot
  plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,u,res)

--Mary