[NARCCAP-discuss] Great Lakes’ temperatures and ice fraction

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Mon May 6 15:21:08 MDT 2013

Hi Biljana,

There is a description of the RCM3-GFDL treatment of the Great Lakes on the
caveats page; it's just before section about the RCM3-CGCM3 runs.

For the WRFG-CGCM3 and HRM3-HadCM3 runs, there was nothing exceptional
about the treatment of the Great Lakes; they were handled in the standard way
for those models:

In the WRFG-CGCM3 runs, lake temperatures were assigned by spatially
interpolating the sea surface temperatures from the GCM from coast to coast to
the locations of the lakes.  Lake ice forms when the assigned lake temperature
is below 271.4K or when sea ice is identified by the sea ice mask from the GCM.

(This comes from the description of how they were handled in the WRFG-CCSM
current run.)

In the HRM3-HadCM3 runs, the lake temperatures come directly from the driving
GCM. When a lake is resolved in the RCM but unresolved in the GCM, the
temperature of the lake is assigned the temperature of the nearest GCM sea
point.

For more detailed information on the handling of the lakes, you will need to
contact the respective modeling groups.  The members of the groups and links
to contact info for them in the NARCCAP participants directory can be found on
the Participants page on the website:
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/about/participants.html

Finally, the land-sea mask has been provided for the RegCM3 runs; it's in the
Table 4 directory with the other sftlf files:
http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/table4/

Cheers,

--Seth