[NARCCAP-discuss] MM5I precipitation from ccsm nested runs

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 13 12:03:10 MDT 2012

Hi Sara,

Two possibilities come to mind: the first is that you may have a download
error, in which case re-downloading them would fix the problem.

However, I think the most likely cause is that those files are in 64-bit offset
netcdf format, and if your installation of the netcdf library is an older one,
it won't know how to handle the 64-bit offset.

In that case, the best fix is to upgrade your installation of netcdf to version
3.6.0 or higher.

(Ferreting out the 64-bit offset files and converting them to 32-bit is on our
todo list, but we're probably not going to get to it anytime soon.  It's a
pretty straightforward fix -- it's just 'ncgen -k3 -b' or something along those
lines -- but unfortunately you need a version of the library that understands
the 64-bit offset in order to apply the fix, so it's a bit of a catch-22 if you
have an old install...)

Sorry for the trouble,

--Seth