[NARCCAP-discuss] ncdump

Antonia Rosati arosati at ucar.edu
Tue May 24 11:41:30 MDT 2011

We've received another excellent question!
Please feel free to reply with any information, experience, answers,
or questions you my have.
Thank you!

Q - I use ncdump to extract the data to process in fortran and matlab.
I have downloaded data for MMSI runs in CCSM. My version of ncdump can
not read any of the files for tas or huss from those simulations with
MM5I in CCSM. This version of ncdump has not failed on any of the
other NARCCAP data files so I wondered - is there anything different
about those files? The error I get is ncdump: ncopen failed on
filename.
~ user

A - One possibility is that you may have a very old version of the
netcdf library. The MM5I-ccsm files are in 64-bit offset format,
instead of classic format, so you need at least version 3.6.0 of the
netcdf library to read them. (Converting them to classic format is on
our to-do list, but it'll probably be a while before we get to it.)
However, the HRM3-hadcm3 files are in classic format, so that can't be
the problem there.  I would guess that maybe the download was
corrupted – that's a common cause of problems with unreadable files.
~ Seth

Toni Rosati
NARCCAP User Community Liaison
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
narccap at ucar.edu