[mpas-developers] DESIGN DOCUMENTS: Field Statistics, Run-time I/O, Auto-Documentation

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:43:10 MST 2013

Hello Everyone,

There are two design documents attached (and also recently committed to the
repo). I put two in this email because on of them requires the other, and
provides something to consider in the first.

First, is the run-time I/O document that also includes auto-documentation.
This requires some rather significant modifications to Registry, with the
end goal being a verbose format for Registry that allows documentation of
fields, namelists, and dimensions to be written into the Registry file. I
have provided an XML proposal for Registry conversion in this document, but
this could be a different format. This format will also be used to enforce
CF compliance in our output files (writing out field level attributes and
what-not).

This document also includes description (although rough currently) of an
auto-documentation parser script. Currently I have a script written in
python that parses Registry and an additional documentation file (as a
test) that generates tables and sections that will be included in our users
guide.

One of the main short term benefits of this project is that it allows ease
of documentation. However the second benefit is the creation of a run-time
I/O layer. This allows the creation of streams at compile time, and the
modification of what fields are in each stream at run-time. This makes use
of another namelist file (described in the document) to make configuration
easy.

Second, is the field statistics module design document. This provides a
description of a generic module that can be used to compute time averages
and field moments. Time averages and moments of fields can be specified at
run-time, with the implementation of the run-time I/O layer.

Both of these projects are rather large, and some of our documentation
requires the first project. My hope is to begin to work on this project
within the next few weeks so I would like to get at least the first
document solidified sooner rather than later.

So, please let me know if you have any questions of comments. Especially
regarding the format of Registry.

Thanks!
Doug