[mpas-developers] COMMIT CHECK: Makefile update

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:31:17 MDT 2013

Hi Qingshan,

If you don't use the "make install" option with the new PIO versions, it
won't affect anything as long as your $PIO environment variable points to
that directory (with the lib and includes). But, if you build PIO with
something like `./configure --prefix=/home/pio-1.6.3 && make && make
install` and then point $PIO to /home/pio-1.6.3 the model won't build.
Because it can't find the libraries or the includes.

It largely depends on how the user setups up their PIO directories, and
since the new installation instructions use `make install` (and it's a
pretty standard way to build libraries), I wanted to make sure the model
would build with either method.

Doug