[mpas-developers] Proposed change on module names

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:54:01 MDT 2011

Hi, Doug.

I'd certainly agree that adding the prefix 'mpas' to modules would be a
good idea -- both to the module and file name -- especially as we begin to
use the MPAS cores outside of the MPAS framework. On the topic of ensuring
there are no namespace collisions between MPAS and other codes, perhaps we
should also consider namespace collisions between different cores within
MPAS itself; it seems at least within the realm of possibility that we'd
like to couple the MPAS ocean and atmosphere cores with our own coupler at
some point, in which case, we'd need to have distinct names for all modules
in both cores. Should we consider adding some unique prefix to modules that
are specific to one core, e.g., module_mpas_ocn_core and module_mpas_atm_nh_core?

When it comes to the 'module_' prefix on file names, I'm not strongly
opposed to removing this prefix; however, unless filenames become too long,
I think retaining it doesn't cause undue burden. While our MPAS source
files almost universally contain modules at present, I think it's a nice
feature of a code to be able to tell which files contain modules and which
don't just from a directory listing: I like that module_mpas_timekeeping.F
contains the mpas_timekeeping module. Then again, I can't say that I've
ever create a file named class_Foo.cxx in C++ for a class named Foo!
The 'module_' prefix probably originated from my personal preference (shaped
by WRF, no doubt), so I'd ultimately have no problem with removing the prefix
if others have a distinct preference for doing so (and especially if we
would end up with long filenames like module_mpas_ocn_time_integration.F).

Cheers,
Michael