[mpas-developers] Proposed change on module names

Doug Jacobsen jacobsen.douglas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:16:40 MDT 2011

Hello All,

While I am working on making the ocean core's module_time_integration.F more
modular another proposed change has come up that I wanted to get some
feedback from other developers on. We have discussed the naming of modules,
and come up with a proposal to change module names from having the prefix
module_ to having the prefix mpas_. There are two motivations to this
change, the first being that module_ doesn't really add any new information
since we already know that each file contains a module. The second
motivation is that the switch to mpas_ help reduce the potential of
namespace conflicts, since it doesn't make sense for other model to have the
mpas_ prefix.

I am bringing this proposal to all of the developers because it is a change
that we might want to have made across all mpas cores, and some people might
have comments or concerns on this change. So, please let me know if anyone
has any opinions on the issue.

Thanks!

Doug