[mpas-developers] MPAS Restart I/O

Todd Ringler ringler at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 25 13:27:21 MDT 2011

Hi Conrad,

Your email is very timely. I am also struggling a bit with the current restart setup.

Since we are using DART for assimilation in both the atmosphere and ocean, we really want to keep the various cores in-sync with respect to restart I/O (as well as other aspects of the models).

Unless we hear otherwise, I think that the ocean model would like to move to one restart frame per file with the time stamp in the filename. In that, we would like to follow your lead on the atmosphere side.

Would you all be open to the following? 1) supplementing the change in how we write restarts with the writing of a text file that points to the last restart written and 2) add the ability (within frameworks) to read this string at init in order to grab to latest restart (if that option is chosen in the namelist).

As Mark indicated, we are pressing to do quasi-production ocean runs. Getting this change implemented across all MPAS cores is high on our list since it will make our lives much easier. As such, we would be happy to help.

Cheers,
Todd