[mpas-developers] MPAS Restart I/O

Petersen, Mark R mpetersen at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 25 12:48:24 MDT 2011

Conrad,

I think separate, individually named restart files would be a big
improvement in the ocean core as well.

Beyond separate names, I would love to see a way to continue from the
latest restart file without specifying the exact time or filename in the
namelist.  That would allow us to line up many jobs, with daisy-chain
dependancies.

One way to do this is to write the name of the restart file to a text file
named latest_restart whenever a restart file is written.  Then, if the
flags are
config_start_time = 'latest'
config_do_restart = .true.
the code reads the name of the restart file from the latest_restart file.

Now that we are beginning big production runs with mpas-ocean, it is
important to automate the restart process.  We have a similar setup for
POP restarts.

Mark