[mpas-developers] MPAS Restart I/O

Conrad Roesch croesch at mail.mmm.ucar.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:50:57 MDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

We have made a modification to the restart file I/O for the
atmospheric cores, and I am wondering how you want to proceed with
regards to merging these changes back into the trunk.

In the trunk version of the code, multiple restart frames are written
to a single file, whereas in the atmospheric branch we are writing a
single frame per restart file, with the filenames differentiated by
the date/time of the restart frame (for example, if the user specified
the name "restart.nc" we would write out
"restart.2011-01-01_12:00:00.nc", "restart.2011-01-02_12:00:00.nc",
etc).   Our reason for making this change was to avoid some problems
with overwriting restart frames during subsequent runs and to make the
available restart options more obvious to the user.  This format will
naturally make the restart time explicit- that is, it is now
reasonable to expect the users to specify in the namelist a restart
time that corresponds precisely to one that is available, and
therefore in the atmospheric cores we now throw an error for
non-matching restart times rather than try to interpret them by
searching for a close available time.

If you are interested in making this the standard way to do restarts
for the ocean core as well, the changes are straightforward and I
would be happy to make them.  However, if you would prefer to continue
writing all restart frames to a single file, I can make the framework
modifications necessary to continue supporting that method the ocean
core while employing the one-frame-per-file method for the atmospheric
cores.

Cheers,
Conrad