[mpas-developers] update on date/time manager

Jones, Philip W pwjones at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 8 16:56:06 MDT 2011

Michael,

I don't have recent experience with their build, but suspect building is not a real problem. However...

ESMF is a very large library and will require an ESMF_init  somewhere in your driver or init code.  Used to be that ESMF_init also did an MPI_init (with a serial wrapper if you're not building parallel code) - not sure whether that's still the case.  The point is that it will affect code beyond just what you want to use.

Guess I have a bit of a bias against ESMF for MPAS at this time, just because I think you want to be a bit more nimble for now.  It might make sense later.  It's also one of my pet peeves - frameworks that force you to adopt the whole thing instead of being able to use/adopt in a piecewise manner.

You also wrote:
... it does not support getting
intervals in terms of years and months (though it does, contrary
to what I had thought, permit the setting of intervals in years
and months).

Actually, this would be fine.  We want to set monthly, yearly intervals, but when getting the interval, we usually want it back in seconds, not MM or YYYY.

Phil

---
Correspondence/TSPA/DUSA EARTH
Philip Jones                                pwjones at lanl.gov
Climate, Ocean and Sea Ice Modeling
Los Alamos National Laboratory
T-3 MS B216                                 Ph: 505-500-2699
PO Box 1663                                Fax: 505-665-5926
Los Alamos, NM 87545-1663