[GTP] Joint GTP MMM seminar - James Brasseur

Carolyn Mueller cmueller at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:02:59 MST 2012

Transformation from Isotropic to Shear-dominated Turbulence
in 3-D Physical and Spectral Space
James G. Brasseur
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Pennsylvania State University
currently: ASP Fellow at NCAR

Thursday, January 12, 2012
Foothills Laboratory 2
Room 1001
Lecture 3:30 pm

The two primary mechanisms that generate turbulence are mean shear and
buoyancy force, each of which act on covariances in underlying
fluctuating velocity and temperature fields to alter turbulence
structure. In the daytime atmospheric boundary layer, for example, shear
generally dominates near the ground as convection dominates in the mixed
layer above. Here we study the interaction between mean shear and the
structure of fluctuating velocity and vorticity fields in homogeneous
turbulent shear flow as a model for shear flows in general, by analyzing
direct numerical simulations of the transition from initially isotropic
to shear-dominated turbulence. I address two related issues: (1) the
mechanisms that force the small-scale turbulent vorticity field from its
initial tube/sheet-like structure in isotropic turbulence to one
dominated by horseshoe/hairpin vortical structures in shear turbulence,
and (2) the relationship in the velocity/vorticity fields between 3-D
physical space and 3-D Fourier spectral space in the transition from
unforced isotropic to shear-forced anisotropic turbulence. Study (1)
evolves from a combined visual-quantitative analysis of individual
turbulence “structures” algorithmically extracted from local
concentrations of the fluctuating vorticity and strain-rate fields,
while study (2) makes use of three-dimensional wavelet filtering to
relate the evolving turbulence anisotropy of local physical space
structure to global anisotropy in 3-D Fourier space. We conclude that
the dynamics that generate hairpin vortical structures in shear flow
lead to a global anisotropy in spectral space that is correlated to the
average dimensions of the local streamwise-aligned vortices that pervade
shear-dominated turbulence.

--
Carolyn Mueller
NCAR IMAGe