[GTP] GTP Seminar--Tiffany Shaw--March 4

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:04:11 MST 2010

Joint GTP MMM Seminar

Physical Consistency in Subgrid-scale Parameterization for Climate Models
Tiffany Shaw
Center for Atmosphere Ocean Science, Courant Institute of Mathematical
Sciences

It is well known that the transfers of energy and momentum by subgrid-
scale processes such as convection, the breaking of small-scale internal
gravity waves and boundary layer turbulence are important for the energy
and momentum budgets of the resolved scales in a climate model. While
energy and momentum conservation is important in general, little
attention has been paid to the implications of these constraints in the
parameterization of subgrid-scale processes. In this talk we will
examine the importance of physical consistency in subgrid-scale
parameterization for climate models. We will present a framework for
subgrid-scale parameterization that respects energy and momentum
conservation as well as the second law of thermodynamics, which is
derived using Hamiltonian geophysical fluid dynamics and multiple scale
asymptotics. The framework provides a concise understanding of the
interactions between the resolved and subgrid scale energy and momentum
by appealing to wave activity conservation laws. It also provides new
measures to quantify and test the consistency of energy and momentum
conservation in current subgrid-scale parameterizations. We will present
the results of climate model simulations which clearly demonstrate that
nonconservation in the parameterization of momentum transfers by
small-scale internal gravity waves leads to non-negligible errors which
occur throughout the depth of the atmosphere.

March 4, 2010
Room 1022
Lecture 3:30pm
Foothills Laboratory 2