[Grad-postdoc-assn] Thompson Lecture Series with Dr. Richard Seager, April 4-6th -- Schedule, sign up for individual meetings and potluck!

Andreas Prein prein at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 24 18:28:08 MDT 2016

This time with the correct subject. The rest of the mail was correct.
Sorry for any confusion.

Andy

Dear NCAR Postdocs,

The Thompson Lecture Series (TLS) is coming up on *April 4-6^th
(Monday-Wednesday)*, featuring *Dr. Richard Seager*, a Professor at the
Palisades Geophysical Institute/Lamont Research Professor at the Lamont
Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University. He uses numerical
models, observations and proxy reconstructions of past climates to
understand the physical mechanisms responsible for climate variability
and change on seasonal to glacial-interglacial timescales.

  * Twice a year, the TLS brings a scientist to NCAR to talk about their
    work, make themselves available to talk to postdocs about science
    and careers, and provide an opportunity for networking among the
    postdocs.
  * A more detailed schedule (including opportunities to sign up for
    individual meetings) is available on the wiki
    <https://wiki.ucar.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=311169651>. /If
    you have trouble accessing the wiki, please send me an email and
    we'll work it out./
  * We are encouraging postdocs to sign up the individual meeting with
    Dr. Seager (sign up here
    <https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Schedule+of+events%2C+Dr.+Richard+Seager>).
    Don't be afraid to sign up just because your science interests are
    different than the speaker's! You will hopefully find that he has a
    breadth of interests and can also offer you interesting insights on
    your career development.
  * /ASPs, recall that attending TLS events is mandatory if you're in
    town! /

*The main events are listed below:*

*  Monday, Apr. 4 (Mesa Lab)
*

  * Breakfast and science+career discussion - 9:00 - 10:30 am, ML -
    Damon room
  * Science seminar - 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, ML Main Seminar room
  * Lunch with postdocs - 12:00-1:30 pm, ML Cafeteria
  * Potluck dinner (families welcome!) - 5:30 pm, ML Damon room (sign up
    here
    <https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Potluck+dinner+with+Dr.+Richard+Seager+signup>)

**  Tuesday*, Apr. 5 (Mesa Lab)*

  * General seminar - 11-12, FL 1022 Main Seminar room
  * Lunch with postdocs - 12:00-1:30 pm, FL Cafeteria
  * Informal dinner out - 5:30 pm (sign up here
    <https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Dr.+Richard+Seager+Informal+dinner+out+signup>)

*  Wednesday, Apr. 6^**(Foothills Lab)*

  * Breakfast and science+career discussion - 9-10:30 am, ML Damon room

We will send out more reminders as we get closer, but please go ahead
and fill up those slots and mark the events on your calendar!  And
please don't hesitate to send an email if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Current Thompson Lecture Committee

Andy Prein, Colin Zarzycki, Farshid Nazari, Leiqiu Hu, Lisa Kaser, Ying
Pan, Feng Chen

*Dr. ***Seager*'s* *Bio*

I am currently the Palisades Geophysical Institute/Lamont Research
Professor at the Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
in Palisades, New York. I gained my undergraduate degree at Liverpool
University in England and came to the United States in 1983 as a
graduate student at Columbia. My Ph. D work was completed in 1990 under
the supervision of Professor Mark Cane and Dr. Steve Zebiak and involved
using tropical atmosphere and ocean models to understand key features of
the tropical climate. In 1991-2 I completed a postdoctoral appointment
at the University of Washington before returning to Lamont, this time to
stay.

Throughout my career I have used numerical models, observations and
proxy reconstructions of past climates to understand the physical
mechanisms responsible for climate variability and change on seasonal to
glacial-interglacial timescales. I have a particular interest in how the
variation of the tropical atmosphere-ocean system organize climate on a
global scale. I have also studied the reasons why the mean climate of
the planet is the way it is and why Europe has mild winters, why there
is a tropical Pacific warm pool, why there are subtropical anticyclones
etc. My recent work has focused on the mechanisms of persistent North
American drought and its relation to tropical Pacific and tropical
Atlantic Ocean temperature variations. This work has led me into studies
of Medieval megadroughts in the American West and studies of the
hydrological future of the West.

Andreas F. Prein
National Center For Atmospheric Research (NCAR)

Tel.  : +1-303-497-8200
E-Mail:prein at ucar.edu
Mail  : P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000
Skype : andi_p.f.
Web   :http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andreas_Prein