[Grad-postdoc-assn] Postdoc and Project Scientist Opportunities at UC Irvine

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 13 20:28:05 MST 2015

Postdoctoral and/or Project Scientist Opportunities at UC Irvine:
Two positions

Our group helps to piece together the climate puzzle so that as people
alter Earth, intentionally or not, we better understand the likely
outcomes. Rapidly changing parts of our planet fascinate us
most---melting snow, blowing dust, and burning forests.
Fast processes often indicate pressure points to which Earth is very
sensitive. Our research includes desert dust and fire-emitted soot
particulates, snowpack lifecycle and reflectance, wind-dispersal of
nutrients and pathogens and, tying it all together, data analysis
techniques to accelerate and simplify discovery from satellite and
model data.

We seek a postdoctoral climate researcher and/or a computational
scientist who can work independently on their own projects while
collaborating to accelerate the scientific workflows of climate
modelers and data providers at NASA and DOE. The areas of greatest
synergy with our group's current research interests are cryospheric
change, aerosol-climate interactions (including geoengineering),
remapping techniques, parallel data analysis, socio-economic
dimensions of climate change, and exoplanet climatology.

The primary skills desired are model-running/analysis (NCAR CESM
family), programming (Bash, C, Python), and writing papers. The
specific areas of scientific and/or computational research will be
determined by mutual agreement. Consideration of applications begins
December 1 and continues until the positions are filled. Rank and
salary are based on qualifications and available funding. Benefits
package included. Send PDF-format statement of career objectives, CV,
and contact information for three references to: Professor Charlie
Zender (zender at uci.edu), Departments of Earth System Science and of
Computer Science, University of California, Irvine.
--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(