[Grad-postdoc-assn] On the Cutting Edge workshops and webinars for faculty, grad students, post docs

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 11 10:12:24 MST 2013

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Fwd: On the Cutting Edge workshops and webinars for faculty,
grad students, post docs
Date: 	Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:55:30 -0700
From: 	Rajul Pandya <pandya at ucar.edu>
To: 	Paula Fisher <paulad at ucar.edu>, susan baltuch <sbaltuch at ucar.edu>

Hi Paula and Susan -

If appropriate, would you please share the following announcements with
post-docs and graduate students that you think might be interested?
  These NSF-sponsored workshops are very good (I actually participated
in one as an early career faculty person and found it invaluable) and
the webinars might provide a nice way to get a sample of what happens at
the workshop.

The organizers are very interested in increasing the number of people
from Atmospheric and related sciences who attend, so I think your
program's participants would be especially welcome.

Thanks very much,
Raj

> *Early Career Geoscience Faculty Workshop: Teaching, Research, and
> Managing your Career*
> July 28-August 1, 2013, at AGU Headquarters, Washington D.C.
> Optional trip to NSF on Friday, August 2
> Application deadline: March 8, 2013
> http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/earlycareer2013/index.html
> **
> *Preparing for an Academic Career in the Geosciences - a workshop for
> graduate students and post-docs*
> July 7-10, 2013, University of Colorado, Boulder CO
> Application deadline: March 8, 2013
> http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/careerprep2013/index.html
> Three 1-hour webinars in the*Pursuing an Academic Career*Webinar Series
> ·Effectively communicating your research: From elevator talks to job
> interview presentations (Feb 21)
> ·Early career negotiations: Negotiating for what you need to be
> successful (March 28)
> ·Networking for academic careers (May 16)
> ·http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/careerdev/AcademicCareer2013/index.html
> Three 1-hour webinars in the*Effective Strategies for Undergraduate
> Geoscience Teaching*Webinar Series
> ·(Re)Designing introductory geoscience labs to promote inquiry (Feb 20)
> ·Teaching and assessing in-depth understanding of fundamental concepts
> using concept sketches (March 27)
> ·Energizing your class with ConcepTests: A simple technique to engage
> students and improve learning (April 10)
> ·http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/careerdev/AcademicCareerTeach2013/index.html
> *More details about webinars below*
> *Pursuing an Academic Career Webinar Series*
> This webinar series offers resources for and insights into important
> aspects of effective career development and the job search process.
> This series is designed for grad students, post-docs, and research
> scientists interested in a faculty position and for early career
> faculty.  Sign up for one, two, or all three.  Registration deadline
> is one week before the webinar.To participate, please register through
> the linked event page for one or more of the following webinars in
> this series:
> http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/careerdev/AcademicCareer2013/index.html
> /Effectively communicating your research: From elevator talks to job
> interview presentations/(February 21, 2013)
> Elizabeth Ritchie, University of Arizona; Tim Bralower, Pennsylvania
> State University; and Heather Macdonald,College of William & Mary
>    Time: 4 pm Eastern | 3 pm Central | 2 pm Mountain | 1 pm Pacific (1 hr)
> http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/careerdev/AcademicCareer2013/feb.html
> /Early career negotiations: Negotiating for what you need to be
> successful/(March 28, 2013)
> Christopher Thorncroft, SUNY at Albany; Kate Miller, Texas A&M
> University; Julie Bartley, Gustavus Adolphus College
>     Time: 4 pm Eastern | 3 pm Central | 2 pm Mountain | 1 pm Pacific
> (1 hr)
> [...]

	RAJ PANDYA, Spark Director
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 U.S.A.
w 303.497.2650
c 303.999.7112
spark.ucar.edu <http://spark.ucar.edu/>