[Grad-postdoc-assn] TSL speaker, Garvin Schmidt, April 6th to April 8th, 2011

Barbara Scherllin-Pirscher pirscher at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:54:24 MDT 2011

Dear all,

Dr. Garvin Schmidt from the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration, Goddard Institute for Space Studies, will be our next
Thompson Lecturer, and will come to NCAR from *April 6th to April 8th,
2011*.
Dr. Schmidt is a well-known climate scientist at NASA Goddard Institute
for Space Science. He works mainly on coupling the atmosphere and ocean
systems in climate models, and modeling both the recent and more distant
(paleo) climate. Dr. Schmidt is also very active in media outreach, and
is a contributing editor of the well-known http://www.realclimate.org/
blog. He has published in top journals such as Science, Nature, and
PNAS, and was listed as one of Scientific American's "Top 50 Research
Leaders" of the year. More info on Gavin Schmidt is at
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/gschmidt/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Schmidt

The agenda for his visit can be found on the NCAR wiki:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Garvin+Schmidt+%28April+6+to+April+8%2C+2011%29

He will give two seminars, one general interest one on "Using Earth
System Models to provide better policy-relevant information" at the
Foothills Lab, FL2 1022, Large Auditorium, on April 6th at 11:00 am, and
a more specialized seminar on "Can we use paleo-climate to enhance the
credibility of future projections?" at the Mesa Lab, Main Seminar Room
on April 7th at 03:30 pm.
We will also have two roundtable discussions with him, one on careers
and one on science. To make the most of these discussions, please think
about questions or topics you would like to talk about and send them to
the moderators ahead of time (Barbara (pirscher at ucar.edu) for the Career
discussion and Lulin (xuel at ucar.edu) for the Science discussion).
On the evening of April 7th, we will have a Potluck dinner at the Mesa
lab with the speaker (starting at 5:30 pm). To facilitate planning,
please let Alex (ajahn at ucar.edu) know if you'll come and if you'll bring
someone (families welcome!) before April 1st. And to make sure we have a
good variety of food to eat, please list what dish you'd like to bring
on the wiki, also before April 1st:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Gavin+Schmidt+Potluck+Sign-Up
The rest of Garvin Schmidts visit will be devoted to individual meetings
with postdocs at NCAR. These meetings (30 minutes long) are a great
opportunity to meet renowned scientists. And even if Garvin Schmidt is
in a very different field than you, don't be afraid to sign up, because
the speakers we invite normally have a breadth of interests and can also
offer you interesting insights on career development. So rush to sign up
for a meeting, we only have 16 spots. You can sign up here:
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Garvin+Schmidt+individual+meetings

Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions,

The TLS Committee
Alex, Barbara, Jasper, Jia, Lulin