[Grad-postdoc-assn] [Postdocs] NO pub social this Thursday!

Simona Bordoni bordoni at ucar.edu
Thu May 8 15:43:36 MDT 2008

Hi Simone,

I am home with a nasty stomach bug, so my creativity is pretty low
and I don't have right now any good suggestion for future social
events. I would however like to stress that I think that monthly
socials are great events, and it would be a shame not to have them in
the future.
The very week I started my asp postdoc this past january, we had a
social, and it was such a great opportunity for me to meet other
postdocs. Transitioning from grad-school into a postdoc position has
its own challenges, which include losing the support network one has
built through the many years as a graduate student. Monthly socials
are a great way to build new friendships, and help this transition.

One suggestion that I do have right now is, however, to try and avoid
in the future too many activities happening around the same time.
Next week we will be quite busy with the Thompson Lecture, so maybe
this impacted the low response we had this time. Also, from my own
personal perspective, fridays would work better than thursdays.

When I am back to my normal self, I will try to think about few ideas
and come up with constructive suggestions.
Keep up the good work!
Simona

----
Simona Bordoni