[Grad-postdoc-assn] Thompson lecture selection (and mentoring opportunity in Africa)

Thomas Hopson hopson at ucar.edu
Sun Jan 28 20:36:18 MST 2007

Hello All,

we wanted to thank everyone who attended this past Friday's discussion and
selection of our next Thompson lecturer, thanks to those who sent in their
votes via email, and also thanks to the ASP office for doing all of the
footwork to set this up and provide the catering. It went very well: we
had a great turnout, the discussion was contructive and informative, and
all the candidates appeared to be highly qualified and capable of doing a
great job for us (and could and should be put up again for this fall's
lecturer). And the voting went well, with 3 candidates in particular
fairly "neck and neck", and from diverse scientific areas.

One issue that wasn't discussed that should have been clarified: as we
know, the Thompson lectureship is meant to be an honor bestowed on the
selected individual by the whole NCAR community. As such, our selected
candidates also need approval by the NCAR directorship and the ASP office.
So please, until this is done and until the ASP office has had a chance to
formally invite our candidates, we ask that you try and keep our final
selections fairly private.

On a different note, the SOARS program is looking for mentors to work with
talented students from Africa for a few weeks this summer. I've coped
their email discussing this below.

Thanks again for your contribution to an excellent selection process.

Tom, Kristen, Gyuwon, and Ankur