[Grad-postdoc-assn] CO2 sequestering non-profit

Thomas Hopson hopson at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 29 02:33:02 MST 2007

Hello All,

if you're not interested in a tree planting non-profit (for CO2
sequestering and local economic benefit), you can delete this immediately
(and apologizes for the potential SPAM).

I wanted to forward on a question from a man I met about a month ago at a
Boulder function dealing with climate change. He is part of a non-profit
that encourages sustainable replanting/harvesting of trees in impoverished
parts of the world (their website is: greenworldcampaign.org; and you can
also see some recent correspondence below, if interested). He and his
colleagues at the non-profit have been trying to track down some facts
about how much of an impact their tree planting nonprofit can have on CO2
sequestering. They've been doing some web-based research on this (USGS,
Tufts Univ., Rainforest Action Network, Dell, etc.) and have been getting
some wildly varying numbers (orders of magnitude differences ... if
interested, I can also forward on some of their correspondence debating
this).To quote him below:

"As I mentioned, I really do want to get the science right in terms of
tropical planting of fast- growing, non-invasive tree species like
leucaena and  coppice, and at what point (particularly, in what numbers)
it might be  legitimately calculated to have an effect on global warming."

This issue is outside of my research area, so my question: 1) do you have
a sense of the impact of such a program, and 2) would you be open to
passing on a few facts/estimates to this individual (or know of a
scientist at NCAR who would)?

Thanks for your interest (and also feel free to contact him directly --
Marc Barasch: marcbar1 at aol.com),

Tom
--
Thomas Hopson