[Grad-postdoc-assn] Thompson lecture next week

Karen Shell kshell at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 17 11:06:31 MST 2006

Hi all,

Don't forget the Thompson Lecture next week (Tuesday and Thursday).
We're starting with breakfast at 9:45 on Tuesday in the Damon Room
(Mesa Lab).  The complete schedule is below.  All postdocs and grad
students (not just ASP) are invited to all the events (well, it might
be a little rude to show up to someone else's individual meeting).

The dinner on Tuesday will be at my townhouse.  ASP will provide food
and non-alcoholic drinks.  If you want something alcoholic, please
bring your own.  We'll be starting around 6 pm.

My address is 82 Benthaven Pl.  To get there from the Mesa Lab, head
down the hill on Table Mesa.  Turn right onto Lehigh.  Turn right at
the fourth street on the right (Benthaven).  Drive down Benthaven
until you get to the circle at the end.  There's visitor parking off
of the circle.  You can also park along Benthaven if the visitor
parking is full.  From the circle, walk down the driveway (heading
north).  82 will be on your right.  I will leave the gate open.

>From Foothills/CG.  Take Foothills heading south.  Exit at Table
Mesa and turn right.  Head west on Table Mesa, and turn left onto
Lehigh (it's past Baseline; the street on the right side is called
something else, Table Mesa Way or Pl or something, so you have to read
the signs on the left).  Turn right at the fourth street on Lehigh
(Benthaven).  See above directions.

If you get lost, call me 303-497-3279.

See you next week,
-Karen

Tuesday, Feb. 21

9:45 a.m. Continental Breakfast - Damon Room, Mesa Lab

* Introduction to ASP - Maura
* Objectives of Thompson visits - Maura

10:00 a.m. Introduction of postdocs/grad students - Damon Room

* Research, progress, prospects

10:15 a.m. Roundtable discussion on scientific careers - Damon Room

* Led by Kristen
* How, what, when, where?
* Scientific priorities
* Questions, advice?

12:00 p.m. Lunch - ML Cafeteria

1:00 p.m. Break prior to seminar

1:30 p.m. "General" Thompson Lecture - ML Main Seminar Room

* 'For the rain it raineth everyday' - or does it? Understanding Monsoon
  Climates

2:30 p.m. Coffee and cookies - Outside ML Main Seminar Room

6:00 p.m. Dinner at Karen's place

Wednesday, Feb. 22

1:30 - 3 p.m. Individual meetings - Damon Room
     1:30 pm Karen Shell
     2:00 pm Stephan de Wekker
     2:30 pm Vani Cheruvu

Thursday, Feb. 23

9:00 a.m. Continental Breakfast - Chapman Room

9:30 a.m. Individual meetings - Chapman Room
     9:30 am Ben Lamptey
     10:00 am Tom Hopson
     Tim VanReken and Kristen Corbosiero to follow

10:30 a.m. Break before seminar

11:00 a.m. "Technical" Thompson Lecture - Mesa Lab Main Seminar Room

* Building blocks of the tropical climate: Understanding organised convection
  from the diurnal cycle to El Nino

12:10 p.m. Photograph - outside Mesa Lab

12:20 p.m. Lunch reception - ML Cafeteria room

1:30 p.m. Roundtable discussion - Chapman Room

* Led by Kristen
* Atmospheric Sciences

2:30 p.m. Easy hike (weather permitting, otherwise, informal
meeting in Damon Room or Southern Sun)