[GO-ESSP] GO-ESSP Action Plans

Annette Schloss annette.schloss at unh.edu
Fri Oct 20 11:07:11 MDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

  here is an example of creating and using 8-bit versions of
satellite imagery (or any raster data) for educators, which is my
entry on Bryan's list.

This tool, the "ICEBOX" combines a Java application (Image Composite
Editor, ICE) developed by Tom Whittaker at U. Wisconsin for NASA and
UNH's MODIS satellite imagery of chlorophyll and sea surface
temperature in the Gulf of Maine.  The tool creates the 8-bit images
on-the-fly.

Try it!
http://www.cooa.unh.edu/education/icebox/
Select 1,2 or 3 images.  You have to select a date and a variable for
each image.  (Try chlorophyll for 3 dates).
Click on the "View images" button.   (at this point the 8-bit images
are created).
To use the "ICE" tool, click on the "Analyze Images" button.  (this
brings up the Java app).
Now you can choose a color table, plot transects, pan and zoom, do
some scatter plots, histograms, etc.  We have a tutorial on-line and
have demonstrated this tool to teachers at workshops.  Teachers
really liked it.  (The site is still being worked on, this is Version
0.9)

NASA also has a site for other ICE applications:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Laboratory/ICE/ice_intro.html

If we want to pursue these kinds of applications for GO-ESSP data
sets, I think there will be a lot of interest in using them.

see you,
-Annette

Dr. Annette L. Schloss
Complex Systems Research Center