[GO-ESSP] GO-ESSP Action Plans

Steve Hankin Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 11 09:37:56 MDT 2006

Bryan, Jeremy,

Thanks muchisimo for finding the energy to send out this summary of
action plan commitments.  It's almost more valuable arriving a bit late
-- at about the right time to see if the activities in question were
successfully initiated or not.  Rocky posed the question of how we
should turn this document into a reporting mechanism.  One partial
answer is that in preparation for the next meeting we will all provide
written responses and then look over our collective successes at the
next meeting.  As to mid-term (between-meeting) reporting, the level of
detail required is so high that I cannot imagine it being handled well
by email.  It seems a good candidate to be put on a Wiki and
collectively edited detail by detail on the parts we each "own".   Kyle
-- does the PCMDI site include a Wiki?  Other volunteers?

Regarding the "CF Action Plan" that you sent around on 9/26 -- here is
an interim report on the topic of "*how best to handle in situ
observations*", that has my name on it.  Some interesting things are
happening.

    Mike Johnson, the NOAA program manager in charge of NOAA's climate
    observing system effort, ponied up some funds for a contract to
    write up the DAPPER (OPeNDAP) protocol as a formal specification.
    Joe Sirott issued a draft of that specification on Oct. 3
    (http://www.epic.noaa.gov/epic/software/dapper/dapperdocs/conventions/).
    Email discussion has been vigorous -- very encouraging to see.  Joe
    expressed a preference to manage changes on this document informally
    at least for the next few months, during which modifications may be
    relatively rapid.  Thereafter I hope we can migrate the document to
    the CF site at PCMDI and see if we can move towards an orderly issue
    tracking in the evolution of the standard.  The current draft does
    not handle point data (scattered) nor track data.  Nor was it
    intended to.  The pressing need to support these data types,
    however, has been voiced already in the dialog.  Hopefully those
    needs will be addressed as DAPPER evolves.

    - Steve

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744