[GO-ESSP] Re: [mmi-tech] Units and NERC DataGrid

Deepsea Dawn dawn at dusk.geo.orst.edu
Mon Dec 6 11:27:01 MST 2004

On Monday, December 6, 2004, at 02:40 AM, Roy Lowry wrote:

> I also feel that what we need is more along the lines of a semantic web
> resource rather than a downloadable executable approach: in other words
> a units ontology that provides a units vocabulary plus the knowledge
> about which units may be interconverted and how.  Such an ontology
> could
> be interlinked with parameter vocabularies indicating the subset of
> units that may sensibly be associated with particular parameters.
>
> Before embarking on building such an ontology for NERC DataGrid, I am
> circulating this e-mail far and wide (apologies for  multiple postings)
> to obtain answers to two simple questions.
>
> What do you think of this approach?
>
> More importantly:
>
> Does anybody know of anybody who is building/has built such an ontology
> and can save me a job?

Hello Roy - Nice to "meet" you on today's MMI telecon. I like the
approach indeed, and my Oregon Coastal Atlas
(http://www.coastalatlas.net ) colleagues and I are trying to work up a
proposal to build such an ontology but it won't be submitted until
Spring 2005, and it will be very limited to coastal mapping,
geological, GIScience, resource management vocabularies. However,
your's will probably be built before our proposal is even written so we
will keep in touch!

Cheers,

Dawn
------
Dawn Wright | Professor | Department of Geosciences
Oregon State University | Corvallis, OR 97331-5506
http://dusk.geo.orst.edu | 541-737-1229 phone | 541-737-1200 fax