[Go-essp-tech] Interpolation from sigma to height --

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 30 15:00:03 MST 2011

Hi Karl, Gary,

Karl is right -- there is a significant difference. But vinth2p can be used, I think, to interpolate to "depth below surface" surfaces (but not for "depth below geoid"), so I will check to see if that is good enough for this user. There is one gotcha, in that the psfc and plev arguments to the routine are in different units, but once that is accounted for it appears to perform the appropriate interpolation.

Gary: it would need a relatively minor extension to/variation on vinth2p_dp.f to make it capable of dealing with ocean sigma coordinates -- do you know who would be in a position to judge whether this would be a realistic option?

cheers,
Martin