[Go-essp-tech] Still confused on CMIP5 support procedures

Sylvia Murphy Sylvia.Murphy at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 29 12:48:01 MST 2011

Hi Everyone,

Last week I was copied on an email that came from Eric Guilyardi of Metafor who received a query from a user about CMIP5 model metadata.    I ended up emailing the person directly to answer their question.   I was rightly reminded that such offline assistance does not help the community be aware of issues affecting the federation.   This made me realize how unclear I am on how CMIP5 support is currently working.  So I have some questions.

* Who are on the CMIP5_helpdesk and/or esg_support mailing lists? (e.g. who sees the issues affecting the federation)?
* How are support requests farmed out? Would whomever is monitoring CMIP5_help know to send metadata related questions my way?
* Can subgroups of support be created such that 3-4 people can be responsible for a topic?
* How do we know that requests have been answered?  Is there tracking at all?
* I am not sure users are finding these support avenues.  The links to the two mailing lists are listed under "contact us", vice "help" or "support".   Sometimes that kind of subtle difference can be a big difference.   Case in point: the user I dealt with did not know where to go and obviously Eric did not either.

Cheers,
Sylvia
Sylvia Murphy
NESII/CIRES/NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory
325 Broadway, Boulder CO 80305
Email: sylvia.murphy at noaa.gov
Phone: 303-497-7753
Fax: 303-497-7649