[ES_JOBS_NET] Research Scientist, Senior, Climate, New Mexico State University
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jul 25 08:49:12 MDT 2018
New Mexico State University is a comprehensive land-grant institution of higher learning accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities. An active research university, NMSU anchors the southern end of New Mexico's Rio Grande Research Corridor, exceeding $140 million in research and public service expenditures. NMSU is classified as a Hispanic-serving institution by the federal government with a total minority enrollment over 48%. Home to the state's NASA Space Grant Program, NMSU is located in Las Cruces, which features desert mesas, the farmlands of the Rio Grande Valley, and the Organ Mountains, an extension of the Rocky Mountain chain. The University is committed to building a cultural diverse educational environment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
* Provide environmental research and analysis in sustainability, visibility, air quality, energy, and vulnerability as it relates to climate science, climate based urban interactions, green infrastructure, human-natural environment interactions, urban heat island, and climate change
* Provide micro-scale climate modeling to assess the effects on infrastructure alignment and predicting extreme meteorological conditions for use in civilian and military applications
* Provide cross-disciplinary research work between scientists and engineers using real-world, validated observational meteorological station data
* Foster collaborative and multi-disciplinary teamwork to benefit needs in the areas of climate science, climate modeling, and atmospheric modeling and research
As an individual researcher or consultant, serves as a recognized leader and authority in a broad area of research or in a narrow but advanced and uniquely specialized field. Makes authoritative decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and/or importance.
Classification Standard Duties
Develops model concepts and approaches as an individual researcher and acts independently on technical matters. Makes authoritative decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities and result in national and/or international recognition. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and/or importance. Interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates scientific research assignments concerned with unique or controversial problems. Prepares analyses, reports, and other documentation for publication; presents findings at local, national, and/or international meetings. Prepares grant proposals to obtain funding in support of research activities. Serves as principal investigator on single or multiple projects of complexity and scope consistent with above criteria, and/or manages a research unit. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise. Comprehensive knowledge of engineering, scientific, and/or mathematical concepts and theories in area of specialty. Knowledge of scientific approach and methodologies. Knowledge of contracts and grants preparation and management. Knowledge of engineering and/or scientific research principles, practices, and protocols. Knowledge of management principles and practices.
Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
Ability to develop and deliver presentations. Ability to develop scientific reports and manuscripts based on original research. Ability to design, organize, and coordinate scientific and/or engineering research projects. Ability to use independent judgment to develop model concepts and approaches for research. Ability to plan, develop, and manage highly influential and/or groundbreaking research projects in area of expertise. Ability to conduct systematic analysis and develop solutions to complex scientific and/or engineering problems. Ability to utilize advanced computer statistical and technical applications. Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
Doctorate degree in related field.
Five (5) years of professional experience directly related to the standard duties as outlined.
Equivalency None Preferred Qualifications
* Performed research using data-driven climatological modeling to formulate assessments on how climatic changes affect infrastructure alignment
* Measured climate extremes using very high-resolution numerical modeling techniques in boundary layer
* Developed tools to measure changing climatic conditions in rural and urban environments with regards to visibility and air quality
* Assessed current atmospheric models with regards to how well they portray urban heat island effects
* Performed boundary layer atmospheric modeling simulations to assess climatic conditions change impact on the human condition from micro-scale to regional environments
* Experience with climate, multi-scale micro-to-macro scale atmospheric, meteorological simulation, and numerical modeling
* Performed evaluation and validation of real-world meteorological data sets
* Familiarity with and understanding of atmospheric tool understanding and use of WRF, WRF-CHEM, CAM, etc.
* Experience with computational fluid dynamics tools such as ANSYS variants, GAMBIT, and ICEM-CFD
* Experience with ozone analysis
* Experience with programming languages such as FORTRAN, R, GrADS, Command Languages
* Experience with Operating Systems such as Linux, CentOS, HPC, Windows, Unix
Required Certification/License Special Requirements Other Departmental Requirements Standard Work Schedule Shift: Other Shift If not a Standard Work Schedule, please describe
Compressed Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday, 9-hour days; Friday, 8-hour day with every alternate Friday off.
Physical Work Location State NM-New Mexico Physical Work Location County, if in New Mexico DA-Dona Ana Work Site White Sands Missile Range Contingent Upon Funding Contingent upon external funds Bargaining Unit Eligible Posting Announcement Statement This is NOT a bargaining unit position with American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME). Tenure Track Posting Date 07/23/2018 Closing Date 08/05/2018 Anticipated Job Begin Date (optional) Anticipated Job End Date, if applicable (optional) Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
The electronic application is the official document that will be used to qualify applicants. Paper/email documents will not be accepted. Required documents must be attached to this application.
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.nmsu.edu/postings/32072
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
No or very limited physical effort required.
Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 10 pounds or some standing or walking.
No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net