[ES_JOBS_NET] Environmental Engineer/Physical Scientist, US EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC

Christine Wiedinmyer Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 24 11:33:00 MDT 2018


current job opening at US EPA Office of Air Quality Planning & Standards air monitoring group in Research Triangle Park, NC
You will:

- Develop and evaluate national policy options for the control of a specific source of pollution and/or type of pollutant;
- Perform technical evaluations in the development of new and/or revised guidance on the implementation of the Clean Air Act;
- Draft air test methods suitable for use in determining compliance with regulations under the New Source Performance Standards program;
- Serve as the Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR) for monitoring the technical progress and performance of specific delegated portions of the work under contract.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
Supervisory status
Promotion Potential
Conditions of Employment

  *   If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
  *   You must submit a resume and required documents (see How to Apply section).
  *   You may be required to travel 1 to 5 days per month.
  *   You must be a U.S. citizen.
  *   Position has educational/degree requirements (see Qualifications section).
  *   EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.

This position is designated as Moderate Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.

If you are selected, you must complete a one year probationary period.


You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.

All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:

  *   Successful completion of a professional engineering degree at an accredited university or college OR
  *   Have a combination of college level education or training AND technical experience that has furnished you with (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1.     Professional registration as an engineer.
2.     Evidence of Passing the Engineer-in-Training Written Test.
3.     Successful documented completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences as described by OPM.
4.     Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field and at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.

Please review the OPM page on specifics about required curriculum and for more information on qualifications, please visit GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications.<https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/>

Physical Scientist: You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics; OR a combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.

As part of the application process, you are required to submit college transcripts or a list of courses as described in the Required Documents section of this announcement.  However, if you are selected, you must provide official educational transcripts before you start work with EPA.  More information on verification of education can be found here:  EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures<https://www.epa.gov/careers/epa-job-vacancy-announcements-policies-and-procedures/>.

In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:

To qualify for the GS-12 level, you need to have at least one year of full time experience equivalent to the GS-11 level defined as developing source emissions test methods and/or monitoring performance specifications; summarizing environmental policies and/or technical issues.

Your answers to the on-line assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Knowledge of the chemical nature of air pollutants; 2) Skill in written communication; 3) Knowledge of emissions measurement and monitoring technologies; 4) Knowledge of the application of compliance test methods; 5) Skill in contract management.

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.


See Qualifications section.

Required Documents

Documents to be submitted online:

--Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section.  In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific.  We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
--Responses to the online assessment questionnaire.
--College transcripts - required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned.
--Veterans' Preference Documents - DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service), VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage), and SF-15, if applicable; active duty service members:  submit certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after you submit the certification).
--Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP:  copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/es_jobs_net/attachments/20180724/0786ccbc/attachment.html>

More information about the Es_jobs_net mailing list