[ES_JOBS_NET] ECMWF Job Vacancy for: Senior Computational Scientist
julie.palmer at ecmwf.int
Wed Jan 31 00:32:18 MST 2018
Job opportunities at ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, Berkshire, UK
Senior Computational Scientist 1. Position information
Vacancy No.: VN18-01
Section : Integrated Forecast Section
Job Ref. No.: STF-C/18-01
Reports to: Code Efficiency Team Leader
Publication Date: 4 January 2018
Closing Date: 18 February 2018 2. About ECMWF
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For details, see www.ecmwf.int/ . 3. Summary of the role
This role sits within the Code Efficiency Team of the Integrated Forecast Systems (IFS) Section in the Research Department. The successful Senior Computational Scientist will manage a significant number of projects to support the delivery of the work of the Section. This will include improving the quality and performance of the parallel Fortran IFS code, to support operations and to assist researchers implementing new scientific developments. He or she will also be required to drive forward continuous innovation and improvement in the processes, within the team and across the Research Department. Engaging with external stakeholders will also play a large part in this function, particularly with the participation in technical meetings with Météo-France.
4. Main duties and key responsibilities
* Initiating and contributing to activities to improve the scientific and technical quality and performance of the parallel Fortran IFS code
* Initiating and contributing to the planning and design of new IFS features and code, ensuring both quality and performance issues are taken into account
* Contributing to the benchmarking and migration of the IFS code to new HPC platforms and new test systems for novel architectures
* Providing support and guidance to IFS developers
* Attending technical coordination meetings with Météo-France, and communicating the requirements and issues of Météo-France more widely within the Research Department
* Assisting with the production and testing of regular joint IFS cycles with Météo-France
* Providing expert guidance to the HPC procurement process, on the current and future requirements of the IFS, and acting as a subject matter expert on advanced HPC technology and programming models
* Supporting operations to resolve IFS-related problems
* Contributing to the adaptation of the IFS to new HPC
5. Personal attributes
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, listening to and respecting the views of others
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a proactive approach, together with an interest in identifying, investigating and solving technical problems.
* Dedication an enthusiasm to work in a small team and able to lead activities within a team
* Ability to work under pressure
6. Qualifications and experience required
A university degree, or equivalent, in a discipline related to computer or computational science. A PhD is desirable but not essential
Demonstrated in-depth experience working with large-scale parallel scientific applications on high-performance computers is essential.
Substantial experience of optimising and improving the computational performance of parallel applications, and/or adapting them to advanced HPC architectures such as GPUs, is essential.
Experience in the technical aspects of HPC procurement is highly desirable.
Considerable number of years of experience working with other organisations on joint projects would be beneficial.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
In-depth, detailed knowledge of Fortran, MPI and OpenMP is essential.
High level of competence in a Linux environment is essential.
Knowledge of other programming paradigms such as OpenACC, CUDA,
OpenCL, etc., would be considered a distinct advantage.
Knowledge of C++ would be an advantage.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage. 7. Other information
This position is graded A3 in line with the scales of the Co ‑ ordinated Organisations.
For the A3 grade, the minimum annual basic salary will be £71,861.52 net of tax.
This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Recruitment at the lower grade of A2 may be considered where the level of the candidate’s skills and experience do not meet the full requirements of the position. This will be at the discretion of the organisation.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs , including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years with the possibility of a further contract.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom. 8. How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs.
ECMWF has an Equal Opportunities Policy and applications from all suitably qualified candidates are welcome.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co‑operating States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases.
Recruitment and Talent Management Officer
ECMWF | HR Section
e: julie.palmer at ecmwf.int t: +44 1189 49 9161
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net