[ES_JOBS_NET] Scientist II (Part Time), aerosol retrieval algorithms and products on multiple sensors, Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Christine.Wiedinmyer at Colorado.EDU
Wed Aug 8 12:12:50 MDT 2018
Scientist II (Part Time)
This is a part-time (50%) position and supports the aerosol retrieval algorithms and products on multiple sensors (MODIS, VIIRS, Geostationary, etc.). There are two focus areas: one, the continued development of explicit error budgets for the aerosol retrievals, and two, the application of products to answer science questions.
* Develop explicit error budgets for aerosol retrievals.
* Implement error budgets into the operational framework.
* Using time series of retrieved aerosol products; develop aerosol processes, trends, and radiative effects.
* Manipulate large satellite data sets
* Interpret results from radiative transfer calculations.
* Prepare research results for publication in reports, papers, journals, books, and other media.
* Prepare and deliver major briefings and presentations to various national and international seminars, talks or lectures for dissemination of knowledge, particularly the results of research undertaken.
* Responsible for compiling research data results for publication in reports, papers, journals, books and other media and also into cohesive educational outreach presentations.
* Act as a mentor for student interns involved in the GESTAR Program. This involves instructing the intern about the nature and extent of the GESTAR program.
* Write several publications of considerable interest and value to the field as evidenced by favorable reviews, by citation in the work of others, by presenting papers to professional societies, and/or will have contributed inventions, new designs or research, which are of material significance in the solution of important applied problems.
* Preparation of reports of own scientific and other activity for purposes of annual reports to NASA, annual GESTAR report, and self-evaluation for annual performance appraisals.
* Engage the academic community in research work through research collaborations, visits, invited guests, workshops, conferences, etc.
* Develop an awareness of NASA's mission needs and address them to the best of ability.
* Maintain an awareness of funding opportunities in area of expertise through internal and external funding agencies; seek and obtain funding to ensure continuation and growth of research efforts.
* Complete all trainings as scheduled
* Other job related duties as assigned
PhD. and experience in Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics, Applied Mathematics, or closely related subject.
7 - 10 years of postdoctoral research experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Proficiency in a structured programming language, specifically FORTRAN and IDL.
* Experience with scientific analysis of swath and gridded datasets with skills in creating graphical representation of results.
* Specific experience analyzing satellite data from the NASA Earth Observing System instruments (e.g., MODIS, MISR, CALIPSO).
* Proficiency in running radiative transfer codes and scientific interpretation of the results.
* Demonstrated written and oral communication skills for publication/presentation activities.
* Lead and/or contribute to proposal writing.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving background.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Willingness to learn and improve.
* Strong team player.
Work will be performed in an office or computer lab environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; talk or hear. Keyboarding for large time spans each day may be a significant part of this position.
Applicants should apply to the posting at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/ and include a letter of interest, resume, or curriculum vita. Review of candidates will begin immediately. Additional information on USRA can be found at www.usra.edu<http://www.usra.edu/>.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net