[ES_JOBS_NET] Staff Research Associate II, UC Davis Air Quality Research Center
Katrine A Gorham
kgorham at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 2 08:57:56 MDT 2017
Staff Research Associate II
UC Davis, Air Quality Research Center
Final Filing Date: 5/11/2017
Under general direction of the Laboratory Manager, perform laboratory duties to operate instrumentation for high throughput measurement of organic carbon, elemental carbon, and total carbon on filters as part of a continent-wide air quality monitoring network. Responsibilities include: (1) conduct measurements, (2) calibrate instrumentation, (3) maintain inventories, (4) process data, (5) maintain records, (6) develop/maintain standard operating procedures, (7) assess/develop QA/QC procedures, and (8) train/schedule/supervise a staff of undergraduate technicians.
50% - SAMPLE PREPERATION AND ANALYSIS
- Collaborate with a team of laboratory staff to perform routine daily operations in the laboratory, which include all aspects of preparing filters for deployment, receiving samples from the field, and preparing samples for analysis.
- Perform routine analyses using specialized instrumentation.
- Perform routine maintenance, minor repairs, modifications, and upgrades to the instruments and/or instrument software, as required and approved.
- Organize and maintain the sample inventory.
- Maintain documentation on performance, analytical routines/procedures, repairs, quality control checks, and modifications for all instruments.
- Maintain calibration standards for instruments and perform routine calibrations of instruments.
- Enter data collected in the field into a database.
- Ensure that filter supplies are prepared and delivered on schedule.
- Communicate with site operators in the field to identify, diagnose, and fix problems.
25% - DEVELOPMENT OF CARBON ANALYIS ACTIVITIES
- Work with the Laboratory Manager to develop, write, and maintain standard operating procedures, safety procedures, and other documentation as needed.
- Perform quality control checks, and work with the Laboratory Manager to assess, develop, and maintain relevant QA/QC criteria and methods.
25% - MANAGEMENT OF CARBON ANALYSIS ACTIVITIES
- Coordinate routine and emergency vendor maintenance visits for laboratory instrumentation.
- Order supplies and conduct equipment inventories for all instruments.
- Ensure that EH&S safety guidelines/instructions are being followed and that the laboratory is in compliance.
- Participate in candidate screening/selection for new student laboratory assistants.
- Train student laboratory assistants to perform measurements on analytical systems.
- Schedule and supervise students to perform routine laboratory analysis.
- Lift laboratory equipment weighing up to 20 lbs.
- As needed, work occasional overtime during nights/evenings, weekends, and holidays, usually on short notice to meet operational needs.
- As needed and defined by the Laboratory Manager, work a shifted schedule. For example: 6AM-3PM or 10AM-7PM.
- UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
- Background in chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Experience working in a sample handling laboratory.
- Interpersonal and communication skills to clearly and effectively interact with a diverse group of individuals to secure and/or provide information to clarify situations and resolve problems.
- Ability to maintain focus on repetitive tasks and attention to detail to notice subtle changes in instrument performance.
- Knowledge and technical experience with analytical instrumentation.
- Experience calibrating analytical equipment.
- Experience using diagnostics tools to determine sources of errors and how to correct them.
- Experience initiating, establishing, interpreting, and implementing laboratory procedures.
- Experience working with computer data analysis and graphing software and MS Office software.
- Bachelor's degree in analytical chemistry or physical sciences.
- Experience supervising junior technicians.
- Experience developing and/or writing standard operating procedures.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net