[ES_JOBS_NET] Data Assimilation Scientist; Spire; Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 22 08:38:18 MDT 2017
Spire Global (www.spire.com <http://www.spire.com/>) is looking for an
experienced Data Assimilation Scientist to join our team in Boulder, CO.
If you're interested, please read the following description and apply
directly via the link provided.
Apply here: www.spire.com/careers/openings/?gh_jid=639395
For further information on Spire, check out and read Inc Magazine's
interview with our CEO Peter Platzer: https://goo.gl/ydA6VW or watch
Tiny Satellites With Huge Impact - https://youtu.be/aQb-XacYQvw
*Data Assimilation Scientist
Spire Global is seeking a Data Assimilation Scientist that will
contribute to the Company’s effort of developing advanced Data
Assimilation (DA) methods in support of our satellite missions. This is
an exciting opportunity for motivated scientists to make a difference
through advancing DA techniques and assimilating unprecedented large
amounts of Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) and other satellite data. The
successful candidate will join DA Team under the Global Validation Model
branch at Spire Office in Boulder, Colorado, USA. They will have
opportunities to work with top-level scientists at Spire as well as
scientists from around the world on issues that matter.
The successful candidate will work with Spire DA and GVM team members to
implement and evaluate cutting-edge DA methods and assimilate large
amounts of GNSS-RO and other satellite data into the Global Validation
Model (GVM). Responsibilities will include the following tasks:
* Proposing innovative approaches to DA, data processing and quality
* Developing and implementing the DA systems capable of assimilating
GNSS-RO and other satellite data into the GVM.
* Working with GVM team members to evaluate DA impact on the forecast
* Working with software engineering team to define most effective
* Presenting research findings at scientific conferences or workshops.
* Applicants must have either a MS or PhD degree in Meteorology,
Atmospheric Science, or equivalent working experience in DA methods.
* Working experience with cutting-edge DA methods, such as 3D-Var,
4D-Var, ensemble Kalman filter and hybrid ensemble-variational methods.
* Working experience with satellite radiance assimilation.
* Working experience with DA systems involving complex NWP models,
such as WRF, GFS and ECMWF forecast models.
* Working knowledge of Fortran-90, Python, Linux scripting and code
* Working experience with GSI (Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation) DA
system is desirable.
* Knowledge of optimal control theory, minimization methods and
machine learning techniques is desirable.
* Demonstration of enthusiasm and ability to work in a development
team that never stops improving DA methods and results.
*Application Deadline: *Review of applications will begin upon the
receipt of applications and continue until the positions are filled.
*Annual Salary:*Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net