[ES_JOBS_NET] Satellite Imagery Internship, London, UK (Remote Sensing, GIS)
Uta.Brookes at rms.com
Tue May 24 10:30:40 MDT 2016
Please feel free to share this internship opportunity! Share with a friend<http://www.rms.com/careers/job?req=16319&title=PI2016%3A%20Satellite%20Imagery%20Internship%20(London)>
*Satellite Imagery Internship (London), United Kingdom*
Statement of purpose/project:
Define a methodology for rapid extraction of urban areas from satellite imagery that can be used for exposure development/downscaling in support of our coming up East Asia Earthquake and Typhoon models.
Define a methodology to extract flood extent from satellite imagery.
* Develop a procedure in ENVI/ARCGIS that extracts the urban extent and flood extent from the raw satellite imagery;
* Test the methodology on different geographies (Asia/Europe/US);
* Research metrics to assign dominant occupancies to defined scales (VRG).
* Candidate pursuing MSc or PhD with focus on Remote Sensing and GIS;
* Hands on with image classification and image processing techniques;
* Knowledge of geospatial statistics;
* Hands on experience with off the shelf software such ENVI and ArcGIS;
* Programming languages (IDL, python);
* Ability to work independently.
* About the Internship:
The RMS Pinnacle Internship (PI) programme will be held during the summer of 2016. This is a paid internship. The start date is 27th June and the programme will run for 12 weeks.
Did you know there's a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year And there's a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you've 'never' heard of, unless you're one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
Having celebrated our 25th anniversary in 2014, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2016 a cutting edge risk management platform 'RMS(one)' for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com<http://www.rms.com/> or follow us on Linked In, Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter
RMS is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter on our website: http://www.rms.com/careers/job?req=16319&title=PI2016%3A%20Satellite%20Imagery%20Internship%20(London)
Share with a friend<http://www.rms.com/careers/job?req=16319&title=PI2016%3A%20Satellite%20Imagery%20Internship%20(London)>
- See more at: http://www.rms.com/careers/job?req=16319&title=PI2016%3A%20Satellite%20Imagery%20Internship%20(London)#sthash.KH7Wowc5.dpuf
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net