[ES_JOBS_NET] Associate Scientist, NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – National Security Applications Program (NSAP),
christin at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 24 09:45:29 MDT 2016
Associate Scientist II*
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a term, part-time, 1-year position, with
possibility of extension. Initial consideration will be given to
applications received prior to 4:00 p.m. on March 18, 2016, or until
a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter,
applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – National Security
Applications Program (NSAP)
Relocation benefits not provided
UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position. Must
be a U.S. person, with ability to work on ITAR material.
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
This part-time position involves working with NCAR/RAL/NSAP
scientists in a variety of activities related to the modeling of
transport and dispersion and coupled applications with numerical
weather prediction and climate downscaling models.
* Develop and write technical documentation for a pre-existing
source term estimation (STE) system for atmospheric transport
and dispersion (ATD) of hazardous airborne material.
* The candidate will be responsible for learning details of the
model code, including a working understanding of the scientific
and mathematical basis for the model, and leading the effort in
writing the technical documentation.
* Further model development tasks (related to STE and ATD) will
likely follow on.
*Education and Experience:*
* B.S. degree in atmospheric science, physical science, or
engineering science or an equivalent combination of education
* Two to three years’ experience in atmospheric modeling and
* M.S. degree in atmospheric science, physical science, or
engineering science highly desired but not required.
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
* Understanding of source term estimation methods and atmospheric
transport and dispersion models.
* Demonstrated skill using atmospheric transport and dispersion
models (i.e., SCIPUFF, HYSPLIT, WRF LES passive tracers).
* Skill in scientific programming, including FORTRAN, Octave,
Matlab, and scripting.
* Demonstrated skill in writing technical documents.
* Ability to prioritize, organize, and follow through on tasks.
*Decision Making and Problem Solving:*
* In close consultation with research team, candidate helps define
the specific research tasks to be conducted as part of the project.
* Solves problems that may arise in the course of completing
research plan. Works independently to solve these problems.
* Establishes schedules to meet deadlines as needed by supervisor.
* Obtains guidance when she/he cannot make a decision or solve a
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that
strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is
committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and
applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex,
gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are
committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that
values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net