[ES_JOBS_NET] Associate Scientist, NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – Hydrometeorological Applications Program (HAP)
christin at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 24 09:44:17 MDT 2016
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a full-time, 1-year term position with
possibility of extension. Initial consideration will be given to
applications received prior to 4:00 p.m. on March 21, 2016.
Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – Hydrometeorological
Applications Program (HAP)
Relocation benefits not provided.
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
This is a new full-time position that will support the 1)
implementation and execution of hydrological, water resource and
meteorological models for a variety of hydrometeorological
forecasting and regional climate applications, and 2) development
and implementation of decision support systems for water resource
* Provides scientific support to advance numerical modeling
capabilities for various hydrometeorological forecasting
applications. Tasks include:
o Developing hydrologic models for local, regional, and
o Performing complex numerical simulations using models such
as WRF, WRF Hydro and WEAP;
o Evaluating model output for a variety of hydrometeorological
and water resources applications;
o Improving the representation of water management activities
in hydrologic models;
o Validating upgrades of modeling systems against known
* Provides advanced analyses (physical and statistical) of
observational data and model output using different packaged and
internally-written software tools. Creates innovative graphics
to illustrate physical processes for a variety of audiences.
* Writes or contributes to reports, conference papers and journal
articles. Presents research results at conferences and other
* Contributes to the development of new proposals for external
*Education and Experience:*
* B.S. degree in atmospheric science, physical science, or
engineering science and four to six years’ experience in
hydrologic and/or atmospheric modeling. Or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
* Advanced degree in atmospheric, physical, or engineering science
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
* Demonstrated skill in the use of atmospheric and water resources
models (e.g., WRF and WRF Hydro)
* Advanced skill in analyzing large meteorological and/or
hydrological datasets from numerical models and observations
* Demonstrated understanding of water management practices and
their representation in modeling systems
* Proficiency in working in a Unix computing environment
* Well-developed skill in programming (Fortran and/or C) and
scripting languages (Python, R, and/or Perl)
* Well-developed skill in using graphical display programs such as
R, NCL, IDV, IDL, QGIS, and Matlab
* Advanced skill in oral and written presentation of technical and
* Ability to work effectively with a team of scientists and
engineers to complete a complex project goal
* Ability to prioritize, organize, and follow through on tasks.
* Ability to work on multiple projects efficiently.
*Decision Making and Problem Solving:*
* Contributes to higher-level decisions through interaction with
supervisor and/or other more senior staff.
* Solves routine problems encountered in a research project using
guidance from co-workers and managers, and utilizing scientific
and engineering expertise available in RAL. Seeks or accepts
guidance when faced with a problem that exceeds his/her ability
to solve independently in a reasonable timeframe.
* Contributes to the formulation and planning of tasks in areas of
*Desired but not required:*
* Working knowledge of the Water Evaluation and Planning (WEAP) tool
* Working knowledge of GIS
* Ability to speak Spanish fluently
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that
strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is
committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and
applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex,
gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are
committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that
values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, , United States
Term Full-Time (T1)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net