[ES_JOBS_NET] Project Scientist , atmospheric modeling, NCAR, Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 6 06:42:03 MST 2016
*Project Scientist I*
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a new full-time position. Initial
consideration will be given to applications received prior to 4:00
p.m. on January 18, 2016. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed
on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – Research Applications Laboratory (RAL) – NASP – National
Security Applications Program
Partial relocation costs paid per UCAR’s relocation policy
UCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
This is a new, regular-full-time, position at the Project Scientist
I level. The candidate will work on a variety of projects in a
team-oriented environment, spanning modeling applications from meso
to micro and urban scales, air pollution, and transport and
dispersion simulations. Job duties include contribution to project
tasks lead by others but also project management and program
The incumbent will lead and work with teams of scientists and
engineers to develop and enhance 1) modeling of physics processes,
particularly boundary layer processes, 2) mesoscale ensemble
prediction and data assimilation capabilities, 3) real-time
operational numerical weather prediction (NWP) systems, 4) regional
climate downscaling and pattern recognition capabilities, and 5)
present work at relevant conferences and publish in refereed
journals. Responsibilities will include model and code development
related to model system improvements, model post-processing,
scientific analyses, and verification of model output.
* Improves modeling capabilities for various applications
including modeling boundary layer processes, transport and
dispersion, real-time data assimilation, probabilistic
forecasting, and statistical post-processing systems.
* Assist in leading the development of prediction systems for
meso, micro, and urban scales, by improving relevant modeling
components, data assimilation and probabilistic prediction systems.
* Study mesoscale weather predictability and develop algorithms
for calibration of ensemble prediction.
* Aid in the production, management, and display of large
observational and model-generated data sets.
* Evaluate performance of operational models using conventional
and innovative methods specifically designed to assess the skill
of high-resolution simulations (mesoscale or finer).
* Identify errors or inconsistencies in model physics for
operational forecasting applications and implement solutions
* Apply NWP targeted for national security applications.
* Develop regional climate downscaling and pattern recognition
* Communicate research results through publication in
peer-reviewed journals, meeting proceedings, and presentations
at scientific meetings.
* Contribute to the development of new research programs with
internal and external collaborators across disciplines and
participate in developing and writing proposals for external
* Interactions with stakeholders.
*Education and Experience:*
* Ph.D. degree in atmospheric sciences or closely related disciplines
* Well-developed experience of numerical weather prediction at the
meso and micro scales
* Familiarity with the atmospheric boundary layer physical processes
* Familiarity with high performance computing architectures
* Fluency in scientific programming languages such as FORTRAN, C,
C++, PERL and/or Python
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Demonstrated record of research and publication
* Familiarity with the proposal writing process for different sponsors
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
* Advanced capabilities in numerical weather prediction of
boundary layer processes.
* Demonstrated knowledge of boundary layer and transport and
* Demonstrated knowledge of techniques specifically designed to
asses the skill of high-resolution simulations (mesoscale or finer).
* Ability to establish and maintain a nationally recognized
* Ability to participate in and interact productively with experts
from different disciplinary fields both within NCAR, with our
* universities and national laboratories.
* Strong skills in written and oral communication of research results.
* Ability to write proposals for research program development.
* Familiarity with data assimilation algorithms and ensemble
methods at the meso or finer scales.
*Decision Making and Problem Solving:*
* In consultation with research team, incumbent defines the
specific research tasks to be conducted as part of the project.
* Solves problems that may arise in the course of completing
research plan. Works independently to solve these problems;
establishes schedules to meet deadlines as needed by supervisor.
* Obtains guidance when she/he cannot make a decision or solve a
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that
strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is
committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and
applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex,
gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are
committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that
values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net