[ES_JOBS_NET] Associate Scientist, Terrestrial Biogeochemist, NEON, Boulder
christin at ucar.edu
Sat Oct 31 09:03:55 MDT 2015
The National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) is a $430 million
dollar observatory project dedicated to understanding how changes in
climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology. For the next
three decades NEON will collect a comprehensive range of ecological data
on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US
ecosystems. NEON will use cutting edge technology including an airborne
observation platform that will capture images of regional landscapes and
vegetation; mobile, re-locatable, and fixed data collection sites with
automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained
field crews who will observe and sample populations of diverse organisms
and collect soil and water data. A leading edge cyber-infrastructure
will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory will
grow to 300+ personnel and will be the first of its kind designed to
detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
The Terrestrial Biogeochemist works with the biogeochemistry data
products associated with NEON's Terrestrial Observation System. These
data products will be generated from sites across the nation and over
time, producing a unique time-space record of how biogeochemistry is
changing (e.g. how those changes reflect effects of climate, land use
and species composition). Essential functions include generating
algorithms for the QA/QC; processing, and publication of data and data
products; refinement and testing of field and lab protocols; providing
technical requirements to assist with the development of contracts with
external labs to perform analyses of soil and plant tissue samples; and
collaborating with other NEON staff scientists measuring adjacent
atmospheric and aquatic systems.*_
*_ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES_*
* Collaborate and coordinate with NEON’s Science Team (e.g. microbial
ecologist, plant ecologists, aquatic biogeochemist, flux measurement
experts, ecosystem modelers, NEON’s cyberinfrastructure team) to
develop algorithms for data quality and develop appropriate data
formats for public use.
* Develop, test, and evaluate QA/QC protocols for field sampling and
* Quality-check data from field crews and external labs.
* Assist with science commissioning and verification activities within
the Terrestrial Observation System and across science subsystems.
* Assist with the development of training materials and field manuals
associated with terrestrial biogeochemistry protocols.
* Refine and test field soil and plant tissue procedures and protocols
(e.g., soil nitrogen transformations and canopy foliage sampling) in
collaboration with NEON’s Field Operations staff.
* Provide technical requirements during lab contract development, and
coordinate with currently contracted laboratories and NEON staff
members to facilitate reporting of results.
* Assist with coordinating the collection of distributed soils
* Follow NEON and site specific, environmental protection
requirements, policy and procedures.
*_REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS_*
* Three (3) or more years of experience analyzing large datasets and
refining the design of data collection and analysis based on results.
* Masters in biogeochemistry, ecology, ecosystem science, or related
* Knowledge in ecosystem ecology or terrestrial biogeochemistry.
* Knowledge of biogeochemical analyses, including stable isotopes.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
* Experience working in a collaborative scientific enterprise.
* Experience and ability to collaborate and coordinate effectively
with a wide range of scientific, technical, and management staff,
stakeholders, and vendors.
* Experience with common statistical software packages (e.g., R).
* Detail-oriented, with an ability to produce high quality work
according to specified schedules, in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
* Ability to work independently and as part of an active science team.
*_PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS_*
* Experience working with chemical analyses of plants and soils,
especially C and N concentrations and isotope data.
* Experience analyzing large scale biogeochemical datasets.
* Proficiency with R, including scripting to automate data QA/QC tasks.
* Proficiency with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MS Access).
*_Term:_*This is a term position with work scheduled until end of
construction, which is anticipated to be September 30, 2017.
*Must have permanent authorization for US employment. NEON, Inc. will
not provide any kind of visa sponsorship.*
***This position offers competitive total rewards including 401(k),
health, vision and dental insurance, generous paid time off and the
opportunity to work with at an organization with a great mission.***
*****NEON, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities,
Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.*****
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net