[ES_JOBS_NET] Associate Scientist at the National Water Center, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
christin at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 15 07:22:05 MDT 2015
Associate Scientist at the National Water Center
*Associate Scientist II - the National Water Center 15221*
*PLEASE NOTE: *This is a new full-time position.
Partial relocation costs paid per UCAR’s relocation policy
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION: *
Provide hydrologic research, development and operational support at
the NWS National Water (NWC) Center located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
* Perform routine operational analysis of hydrologic model states,
including interpretation and analysis of snow conditions and
other model states; regularly perform operational data assimilation.
* Provide customer service and outreach to a wide variety of
government and private sector entities in water resource
management, disaster emergency preparedness, weather and flood
forecasting, agriculture, transportation, and commerce.
* Provide operations and development support for the SNODAS and
Airborne Survey Programs.
* Perform software development in GIS and other applications.
* Prepare internal documentation, technical reports, and
scientific publications, and present papers at seminars and
* Under the general direction of a supervisor, works independently
to support the comprehensive snow observations, analyses, data
sets and map products for the Nation. Solves routine problems
with guidance and often in collaboration with peers.
* Education and Experience: Master’s degree or higher in Physical
Sciences, Hydrology or a closely related discipline.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Strong communication and organizational skills as well as
excellent interpersonal skill.
* Demonstrated ability to build relationships with management,
colleagues, and external partners.
* Self-starter with the ability to work in a small team
environment without direction day-to-day on-site supervision.
* Proficiency in ArcGIS, including Spatial Analyst, or extensive
experience in comparable geographic information systems (e.g.,
QGIS); experience using and implementing web data services.
R; familiarity with Linux operating systems and shell scripting.
* Knowledge of hydrometeorological observing networks and station
metadata. Strong understanding of the uncertainties associated
with observational data.
* Knowledge of numerical land-surface modeling and associated
* Knowledge and experience with snowpack physical characteristics,
snow data collection, and snow modeling in a variety of
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that
strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is
committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and
applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex,
gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are
committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that
values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Regular, Full-Time (R1)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net