[ES_JOBS_NET] postdoc opportunity at Lawrence Livermore National Lab
zhang25 at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 1 10:07:05 MDT 2015
If you know someone who might be interested in this job, please do not hesitate to distribute.
Apologies for cross-posting.
We are recruiting a new postdoc to work on "the effect of soil moisture and surface heterogeneity on cloud formation and convection triggering using both ground-based observations and large-eddy simulations."
Please follow the link below to apply online.
Job Opening ID: 100177
Posting Title: Postdoctoral Research Staff Member; Cloud Processes Research Group
Job Title: Post-Dr Research Staff 1
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
The Cloud Processes Research Group has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in the area of investigating the effect of soil moisture and surface heterogeneity on cloud formation and convection triggering using both ground-based and satellite observations and large-eddy simulations. The Cloud Processes Research Group is a leader in the study of cloud processes with activities including their diagnosis with observations, their parameterization and evaluation in climate models, and their response to climate change. The Cloud Processes Research Group is closely connected with the Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov<http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/>), a world leader in the diagnosis of climate models and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program that provides exciting and novel ground-based remote sensing observations of clouds and related processes. Possible research activities include investigating the moisture recycling process; exploring mechanisms by which wet/dry soil moisture conditions may favor different convective regimes; charactering the relationship between surface heterogeneity and convective triggering; performing large eddy simulation coupled with a land model to validate and constrain atmospheric or land parameterizations in regional or global climate models. The postdoctoral researcher will be expected to work collaboratively with scientists in the Climate Modeling and Analysis and Cloud Process Research Groups. The selected candidate will report to the Cloud Processes Research Group Leader.
- Conduct original research on the processes governing cloud and convective responses to different soil moisture and surface heterogeneity conditions.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research in the area of land-atmosphere interaction using both observation and modeling tools.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience with large-eddy simulation and expertise in one or more of the following areas: clouds associated with cumulus convection and their interaction with land surface, land surface processes and modeling, or moist convection thermodynamics.
- Experience with large model and observational datasets, modern programming environments, and visualization techniques.
Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated fundamental verbal and written communication skills as evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Experience with cloud microphysics or atmospheric boundary layer turbulence.
- Experience with performing regional or global climate simulation.
- Familiarity with satellite- and/or ground-based observations such as those collected by NASA and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
- Familiarity with programing languages including Fortran, Python, NCL, MPI or openMP for supercomputing.
NOTE: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: None required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please follow the link below to apply online.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net