[ES_JOBS_NET] SEI-US Seattle Research Associate - Staff Scientist position
carrie.lee at sei-us.org
Tue Nov 24 22:18:25 MST 2015
Research Associate/Staff Scientist: Climate Change Mitigation
(as posted November 23, 2015)
Position: Research Associate / Staff Scientist
Topic: Policies to address global climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Salary range: Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Start date: Winter 2016
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Application deadline: December 14, 2015 (may be extended)
The Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is a mission-driven, international research organization working to promote local, national, and global sustainable development. Headquartered in Sweden, SEI has a global reach with seven centers spanning four continents. This position will be in SEI's Seattle office, a dedicated group committed to strong climate policy. The Seattle office works closely with governments, foundations, international agencies, and other research organizations to inform policy development at local, national, and international scales. We work collaboratively to research, analyze, evaluate, and innovate sustainable policies using insights from the physical and social sciences, economics, and other disciplines.
The Seattle office of SEI seeks a passionate early- to mid-career researcher to contribute to SEI's work on emerging topics in climate policy, which could include, among others, low-carbon cities, the economics of oil and coal extraction, and carbon pricing. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, casual work environment, and excellent work-life balance. Our office is in the heart of downtown Seattle, near Pike Place Market, and in a building with many other environmentally focused NGOs.
Contribute to innovative research projects by:
* Gathering information and data, including internet, phone and literature research
* Preparing, applying, and helping conceptualize analytical tools and models, and/or designing and implementing research strategies and methods
* Drafting reports, articles, and blog posts
* Providing coordination and support to project managers
* Participating in the organizational management of the institute
* Assisting with the preparation of proposals and fundraising
* Assisting in external presentations, trainings, and other outreach
* Participating actively in our collaborative office culture
You should have a desire to work in the non-profit sector within a small, informal, yet highly professional team. Desired capabilities include:
* Familiarity with, or a strong curiosity in, climate policy; environmental science, greenhouse gas emissions quantification and accounting; economics; energy systems, including city policy and planning; and sustainable development
* Careful research habits and skills
* A strong proficiency with quantitative and technical analysis and/or modeling
* The ability to clearly communicate research and analysis, orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
* A sense of collegiality and the ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external colleagues
* Personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and the ability to manage time, priorities, and resources effectively
* A passion for interdisciplinary, objective research and analysis
* College degree with strong analytical background
* Two or more years of work experience, and/or an advanced degree (e.g., in policy, economics, environmental studies, engineering, or science)
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
How to apply
Please submit your application using the web form at https://sei.workable.com/j/04B3D0E7C2, and be sure to include:
* Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience, as well as why you are drawn to SEI. If you are not currently based in Seattle, please specify your interest/availability to relocate.
* Curriculum vitae or resume (as attachment).
* Three professional references. We will alert you before contacting your references.
* Samples of your written and other creative products (via URL links). If you are not the sole author or creator, please describe your role and contribution.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For more information: http://www.sei-international.org/working-for-sei/current-recruitments
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net