[ES_JOBS_NET] Diversity, Education and Outreach Specialist, NCAR, Boulder, CO
christin at ucar.edu
Sun Jun 14 07:55:43 MDT 2015
Diversity, Education and Outreach Specialist
*PLEASE NOTE:*This is a full time, two year term position (with
possibility of extension). Initial consideration will be given to
applications received prior to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 19th, 2015.
Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
NCAR – Outreach Services Group at NCAR’s Computational &
Information Systems Lab (CISL)
Partial relocation benefits may be provided.
UCAR. NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION:*This person oversees, promotes, participates
in, and implements education, outreach, and diversity programs on
local, regional, national, and international scales. These outreach
efforts are generally focused on developing external community and
student interest in and application of the Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines that support CISL’s
computational mission in the atmospheric and related sciences.
* Social Media Networking and Communication: Develops and
implements a diversity-oriented Social Media Strategy. The
Coordinator should be familiar with principal social media
outlets and their use as marketing tools, focusing on
diversity-related sites, particularly those in STEM fields.
* Writes stories and takes photographs for CISL’s monthly
newsletter. Creates written brochures and pamphlets describing
CISL programs. Develops and maintains a creative, timely and
appropriate presence in various social media venues.
* Diversity Liaison: Works with Human Resources and the NCAR
Diversity and Outreach Director to coordinate diversity efforts
across the organization. Participates in the NCAR Diversity
Committee. Collaborates with the State of Wyoming’s diversity
program(s) and the EPSCoR program in support of diversity goals
for the NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center (NWSC). Coordinates
efforts in NSF programs such as the National Science
Foundation’s Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery
Environment (XSEDE). Makes presentations to internal and
external entities outlining program goals and achievements.
* Relationship Building: Identifies and cultivates important
relationships with key Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) for
promoting atmospheric and computational science programs and as
sources for prospective interns and students for other positions
within the Lab. Creates a plan, builds and nurtures
relationships with MSIs, and performs outreach visits to bolster
CISL’s diversity and education goals.
* The SIParCS Program Lead is a centerpiece of CISL’s efforts to
integrate research and education. Continues the growth and
success of this interdisciplinary internship program, which
typically brings 10–15 student interns to work for CISL each
summer. Supports the ongoing operation of all aspects of CISL’s
SIParCS internship program, including recruitment, application
tracking and candidate hiring process. Helps develop new
proposal ideas and identifies appropriate funding sources,
develops program budgets, and ensures that the program remains
* Develops a successful and impactful outreach and community
engagement exhibit and event portfolio in support of CISL’s
mission. Helps develop and align exhibit concepts and ideas with
the CISL Strategic Plan, then works with subject matter experts
to design and implement these exhibits and events. Finally, the
incumbent ensures that the exhibits and events are used
effectively to realize CISL’s diversity, outreach, and education
* Works with partners such as the Wyoming Business Council,
Minority Serving Institutions, and the broader university
community to define messaging and implement exhibits and events
for maximum collective impact. Coordinates with other internal
and external organizational units on the effective use of
exhibits at both at the NCAR Mesa Laboratory and the
NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center. Ensures that booth designs
are cost effective and appropriate to planned venues. Defines,
collects, manages, and reports all metrics required for these
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree, at least four to six years of relevant program
experience in outreach programs, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Specialized understanding of outreach, education, diversity, and
* Knowledge of and ability to interpret institutional policies and
procedures and guide others.
* Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
* Strong knowledge of word processing and graphic design.
Proficiency in database, presentation, and spreadsheet
applications. Skill in working in a networked computing environment.
* Advanced written and oral communication skills. Advanced
knowledge of English composition, grammar, spelling,
punctuation, and usage. Working knowledge of proofreading,
editing, and publication production.
* Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets, budgets, and financial
tools systems (accounting and reporting systems).
* Advanced skill in the use of Microsoft Office, including Word,
PowerPoint, and Excel.
* Works with limited budgets that support quality exhibits,
workshops, or meetings.
* Ability to work under high pressure and be flexible in response
to changing plans.
* Ability to work independently, plus the ability to work
effectively in team situations.
* Strong ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
writing in a public outreach capacity.
* Strong interpersonal, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
Sensitivity in working in multi-cultural settings.
* Ability to represent the organization on entity-wide or
* Ability to delegate work and provide training. May supervise
staff and students.
* Ability to travel.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an
*equal opportunity employer*
evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status,
sexual orientation, domestic partner status, disability, or veteran
Boulder, Colorado, United States
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net