[ES_JOBS_NET] NEON Job Posting: Assistant Director, Aquatics Boulder, CO
jjackson at neoninc.org
Fri Jul 24 10:27:24 MDT 2015
Assistant Director, Aquatics
This position reports to the Project Scientist. The Assistant Director for Aquatic Sciences provides direction and management oversight for the design of the scientific rationale and procedures for the Aquatic Observation System (AOS), Aquatic Instrument System (AIS) and Stream Experimental and Observational Network (STREON), which are part of the NEON project. This position is responsible for overseeing the scientific rationale, sampling designs, budgets, schedules, and personnel for all aquatic ecology activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Manages a diverse team of scientists to refine the Aquatic and STREON sampling designs for the NEON Project.
* Develops and manages team schedule, budget, risks, and documentation.
* Provides strategic, scientific rationale for aquatic components of the NEON project.
* Collaborates with other members of the science team to refine and implement NEON's science design (including ensuring integrated terrestrial and aquatic sampling).
* Identifies risks to meeting scheduled activities, and implements solutions to mitigate risk and meet timelines.
* Manages the documentation of sampling plans, equipment design and data collection, verifying that all activities are documented.
* Leads the development of QA/QC protocols for field sampling, laboratory analyses, and data processing.
* Contributes to training material and field manuals for field and lab procedures.
* Supports science staff in the identification of external facilities that can process and archive STREON and aquatic samples; assists with the development of Statements of Work for these activities.
* Coordinates and collaborates with the NEON Data Products and Cyberinfrastructure teams and other science staff to develop of algorithms to deliver data products and specifications for data ingest and publication formats associated with Aquatics and STREON data collection.
* Coordinates and collaborates with the NEON Calibration, Validation, and Audit Lab (CVAL) to develop workflows for data quality control and quality assurance.
* Coordinates information sharing with relevant scientific and academic communities.
* Participates in the larger NEON science community by collaborating with external scientists and attending meetings and conferences.
* Follows and participates in the development of NEON and site specific environmental protection requirements, policy and procedures.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
* M.S. in Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field.
* Ten (10) or more years' experience with methods in aquatic ecology.
* Supervisory/leadership experience, sufficient to demonstrate the ability to manage a diverse group of scientists and technicians.
* Experience in managing budgets and schedules for a large scale scientific project.
* Demonstrated experience in scientific writing and review.
* Very effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
* Ph.D. in Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field.
* Experience working in a dynamic environment.
* Experience with both observational and instrumented sampling methods.
* Experience working with groups involved in terrestrial and aquatic ecological environments.
* Experience working in a collaborative scientific enterprise.
Term (This is a term position with work scheduled until the end of construction, which is anticipated to be September 30, 2017.)
Must have permanent authorization for US employment.
Please apply to: www.neoninc.org<http://www.neoninc.org>
NEON Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net