[ES_JOBS_NET] Atmospheric Science Research Team Lead, Climate Corporation (Seattle, WA)
christin at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 5 20:33:56 MST 2014
*(forwarded from WRF Mailing List):
Atmospheric Science Research Team Lead (Seattle, WA)*
Job Description and Link to Apply:
The Climate Corporation is looking for an experienced senior-level
applied scientist to build and manage our Atmospheric Science team. This
team will be a part of our Science team, which leverages big data and
cloud computing to tackle real-world problems in atmospheric sciences
and their relation to farm management and agricultural risk management.
We work with observational weather data, modeling output, agricultural
data, remote sensing data, and more. We are looking for a lead
researcher with expertise in one or more of the fields in our areas of
*Active areas of research:*
* probabilistic weather and climate reconstruction and projection
* coupled land-surface / atmosphere models
* numerical weather prediction
* data assimilation
* mesoscale meteorology
* dynamical downscaling
* ensemble forecasting
*What you will do:*
* Build a team to deliver top quality weather and climate data to
internal groups and external products.
* Mentor and guide other team members on research endeavors.
* Communicate research results within the quantitative teams and to
engineering and product teams.
* Plan and execute short-term, small-team, applied atmospheric science
research projects, with the ultimate goal of releasing improved or
* Engage in active research projects in a dynamic, fast-paced,
* Provide guidance in the development of high-quality, reproducible,
well-documented research code.
* Collaborate with engineers to produce reliable, production-scale
*What you bring to the table:*
* Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences or related field with 10+ years of
experience in atmospheric science research and 5+ years of leading
cutting-edge applied research projects.
* Strong record of developing and delivering top-quality weather data
solutions for customers and/or a strong publication record
demonstrating the required applied expertise.
* Experience in mentorship and development of junior scientists.
* Experience with applied statistics.
* Experience with high performance computing.
* Drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is
necessary along the way.
* Excitement to learn new topics, develop new skills and use new tools.
* Communication and collaboration skills under pressure.
* Experience with software development is a plus.
* Experience implementing algorithms on big data is a plus.
* Experience working with physical model output is a plus.
*About Us: *
The Climate Corporation's mission is to help all the world's people and
businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission,
we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first
time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather
insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather
simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more
than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest
users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and
increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At
the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights^(TM) technology
platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather
monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation. This platform
powers the company's portfolio of technology-based products and
services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA;
we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish
big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most
rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on
finding the possible in the impossible. If you are the best at what you
do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for
like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we
are eager to talk with you.
*See our video* <http://goo.gl/0hDv3> about what it's like to work at
The Climate Corporation: **
*What We Offer:*
Our team is composed dozens top scientists and engineers. The
environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with a diverse set of
top agronomists, statisticians and engineers working together to provide
the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries, excellent medical benefits, and some of
the best perks in the industry, including::
* Opportunities to explore personally compelling topics by
occasionally taking time to work on independent research projects.
* Lunch, dinner and a large assortment of snacks and drinks throughout
* Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, curling, holiday
yacht parties, sporting events, etc.
* Participation in workshops and scientific conferences such as NIPS,
AGU and AMS. We collaborate with research facilities and academic
organizations. We also have an in-house seminar series given by both
guest lecturers and our own scientists.
* Field visits with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our
products are being used.
* Encouragement to explore new methodologies and collaborate
throughout the research process from brainstorming idea to
pair-programming solutions. Our research platform supports fast
iterations and development allowing research to make it quickly into
production. We communicate our research results with other
scientists and stakeholders in the company.
* Unique opportunity to make a real world impact - we are solving
problems that have a massive impact on farmers lives and food security
* Superb medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
* 401k matching program
* Gym membership discounts
Job Description and Link to Apply:
Thank you for your time,
The Climate Corporation
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net