[ES_JOBS_NET] AGI Director of Education and Outreach
Baker, Leslie (firstname.lastname@example.org)
lbaker at uidaho.edu
Tue Jan 28 13:31:00 MST 2014
Job Description - Director of Education and Outreach
The American Geosciences Institute (AGI) is seeking an experienced individual to serve as its Director of Education and Outreach and as the lead for AGI’s Center for Geoscience Education and Public Understanding. AGI is seeking a visionary leader who will develop a well- coordinated strategy to advance the education and public outreach mission of AGI. The Director will also be expected to lead the development and implementation of the strategy through strategic partnerships, staff deployment and accountability, and outsourcing.
AGI is a mid-size non-profit federation of geoscientific and professional associations that represents more than 250,000 earth, atmospheric, and ocean scientists. Founded in 1948, AGI provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in the profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education at all grade levels, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society's use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and interaction with the environment. AGI has an annual operating budget of more than $6 million and has a net worth of approximately $10 million. The Director of Education and Outreach reports directly to the Executive Director of AGI and has significant interaction with the AGI Executive Committee and AGI Foundation leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities – To be successful in this position, candidates must be familiar with research-based effective practices in formal and informal science education, teacher preparation and professional development, and public outreach. Candidates must have prior experience in the areas of fundraising, budgeting, and strategic planning. Proven leadership ability and outstanding oral and written communications skills are required. Specific duties include the following; other duties to be assigned at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Leadership – Take a leadership role in the following areas in the geoscience community
* Strategic planning and oversight for the AGI Center for Geoscience Education and Public Understanding
* Strategic planning and oversight for all AGI Education and Outreach programs
* Liaise with AGI federation Member Societies in the areas of Education and Outreach to develop a collaborative vision to promote geoscience education and outreach
* Collaborate with AGI Foundation and others to support development activities for the AGI Center for Geoscience Education and Public Understanding
* Collaborate with AGI staff, AGI federation Member Societies and others to generate funding in support of the AGI Center for Geoscience Education from public and private sources
* Conduct ongoing research and analysis to identify and address the needs of the geoscience community in the areas of education and outreach
Management – Work collaboratively with staff to provide support to the geoscience community in the areas of education and outreach
* Prior experience in supervision and evaluation of 5-6 individuals
* Conduct short- and long-term strategic planning; set concrete goals and identify resources needed to attain those goals
* Plan and manage budgets
* Develop proposals to obtain funding from external sources o Manage and acquire corporate, foundation and federal grants o Manage and acquire external contracts
* Manage projects
Products – Along with appropriate staff and others develop products that support the AGI Center for Geoscience Education and Public Outreach
* Curricula and classroom activities (development and revision and associated teacher training)
* Teacher professional development (workshops and academies)
* Meeting and conference planning
* Report to the geoscience community and others on the Center’s activities and the results of research projects through oral presentations, written reports, videos, and other media
* Expansion of Earth Science Week activities and sponsorship to take advantage of new materials and platforms for dissemination
The Director is located at the AGI Headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia. The Director supervises 5-6 support or contract staff. Routine domestic travel is required. Benefits and salary are competitive with similar-sized non-profits in the Washington, DC area. Experience working with non-profit, academic and federal organizations is very desirable. AGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review of applications will begin on February 17, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled. Application should be sent to jobs at agiweb.org <mailto:jobs at agiweb.org> and should include the following components:
* Resume or curriculum vitae
* Letter of intent describing the candidate’s qualifications as related to the duties and responsibilities described above (three-page maximum).
* Letters of reference from three (3) individuals who are familiar with the candidate and are able to discuss the candidate’s professional experience and potential for success in the position.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net